We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When was Interstate 40 built?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
When was Interstate 40 built?

In the processing of planning a trip to Sedona, I recall the last time I was in Arizona, in the summer of 1970, when I was 18. We had spent the night trying to camp in Needles (of all places) and were on our way to the Grand Canyon, when my Father was stopped for speeding and had to pay a hefty fine. I just spoke to my Mother and she remembered that we were stopped in Williams, which we all recalled as a classic speed trap, like something out of a 50s TV show. Looking at the map, I can't believe we were driving on a proper interstate on that day, and wonder if we weren't on route 66, hence the question: when did they build Interstate 40?

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,826 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When was Interstate 40 built?

I-40 was under construction at about that time. Have no fears. You can drive there now,

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When was Interstate 40 built?

the completion of I-40 happened on October 13, 1984. They had a huge festival and the guy who sang Get your Kicks on Rt 66 did a live concert on the interstate before it opened the following day. I think I was in 6th grade or something like that.

Considering we get a million people a year coming to the GC passing through or near Williams of course you have a small town speed trap. I'm always warning people about it because you have hills coming into town from both directions so easy to loose track of speed. Back then you would have been on Old RT 66.

Mentioned in this post
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When was Interstate 40 built?

Gosh, I didn't realize it was so new when we made our first trip to Arizona in 1986!

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When was Interstate 40 built?

Yes its quite new. If the town had its way we wouldn't have that detour. LOL

5. Re: When was Interstate 40 built?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:19