We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight stay at the grand canyon

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
overnight stay at the grand canyon

We are planning on going to the Grand Canyon for the 1st time this year. The obvious choice is to take the railway plan. We were wondering about the option to stay the night at the Maswik Lodge. What is there to expect from staying overnight at the park? Is it worth it or is simply seeing the canyon during the normal tour sufficient enough? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
855 reviews
1. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

Don't know why you'd feel the railroad option was the best plan. Won't oyu have a rental car. Driving yourself would be your very best option by far, as well as the much cheaper. The railroad tour is ok for real train aficionados, but the train ride itself is not more scenic than driving, but the train takes so much longer than a car does on the road. You wonpt see the Grand Canyon from the train, it just takes you into the park and very close to the rim.

The best for you would be to spend a night inside the park. This will allow you to experience the unbelivable specactly of sunset and sunrise over the canyon. You'd also have the time to explore along the 30+.mile rim drive and stop at the various overlooks at your leisure. A free shuttle will also take you to most of them, as well as to the ones west of the village.

Driivng yourself you'd have more time, more fredom of movement, and it woulöd cost you less.

Accommodation at a in-park lodge would need to be booked ASAP.

For the in-park hotels, visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757, from outside the USA the number for GC is 303-297-2757

Failing that you can get lodging right outside the south gate (main entrance to the park) in Tusayan, about ten minutes' drive from the rim. What some people do is reserve a room at one of the Tusayan hotels, but then keep calling Xanterra for cancellations – which happen all the time, but don’t make it back onto the website before they’re snatched up again. That way you might still get ‘inside’ and then just cancel the prior reservation at Tusayan.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,160 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

Agreeing that the railroad is far less than an obvious choice. In fact it would be my last choice...just below walking.

Williams is nowhere near the GCNP. Drive to the park in your car and book your own lodging there. The money you'll save by not using the train will pay for another week of vacation time.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

Agreeing with Esty and RedRox. Drive to the park and spend the night in one of the lodges.

Oh, and drop by the Grand Canyon National Park forum with any questions you may have about the park!

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143028-i157-Grand…

Edited: 30 March 2012, 13:54
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,831 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

"Is it worth it or is simply seeing the canyon during the normal tour sufficient enough?" If by "normal tour" you mean the tour included in one of GCRR's packages, that's not the "normal" way of seeing the park and the canyon. GCNP is self-touring. There are shuttles in the central GC Village area and to Hermit's Rest to the west. You can drive your own vehicle to the east to Desert View and the Watchtower. GCRR's tour bus might go to some of those places, but a "normal" tour has a limited number of stops. You would see a lot more on your own. Yes, it's worth it to stay overnight.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

When I said that the train was the obvious choice I meant that for our particular trip. My family loves riding the train and we have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon so it was like a two birds with one stone deal. I guess what I was truely wondering is after we take our motorcoach tour and check in, what are the sites I must see and is there transportation to these locations there at the village? My wife is set on staying overnight at the Maswik Lodge and I don't want her to be disappointed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
855 reviews
6. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

There are loops of free chuttles inside the Grand Canyon National Park that interconnect, but don't overlap. These will take you to the majority of the overlooks and other sites.

Explore this for more info:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

Once you get to the park you'll get a newspaper with all the relevant information, including maps of trails and locations.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 12:06
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
157 reviews
7. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

@palomo76: Just so you know, you won't see the Grand Canyon from the train, you won't see it until you get to the park and get off the train.

8. Re: overnight stay at the grand canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 05:21