We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Hi, I'm going to Yuma this weekend, is it true that one can swim in the Colorado, while still in the city of Yuma? Where to go to do this, and I assume it is healthy-ish water?

Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

You can, at Gateway Park. They even have tubing on the river. I wouldn't do it, personally. The river is too polluted with pesticides from the farms upstream. There are plenty of swimming pools in Yuma, so it's not really necessary.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,431 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Agreeing. I'd stay out of the river.

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Thanks, Colin and RedRox -- good to know!

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Sorry, that's nonsense. In all likelihood, the other commenters are getting their drinking water from the same Colorado River they're dissing here. Thousands of Yumans swim, waterski and recreate on the river all summer, and I have never heard of anyone suffering any ill effects from water pollution (alcohol overdose is another story),

Plus, most of the ag acreage is downstream from Yuma, not upstream. Upstream from Yuma, the river runs through a huge chunk of national wildlife refuges and state parks.

In addition, desert farmers are very efficient with their water use - there really isn't much runoff, though the ground water levels are high. What runoff there is goes into a separate canal, not into the river.

Jump in!

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

OK, thanks, Yuman Being! (Great name, btw.) I wondered about that, bc I also thought the big ag was downstream . . . Probably also a single dip one afternoon couldn't be too bad, even if there are some pollutants. If we go, I will report back.

Mil gracias a todos.

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

I would recommend gateway park, as well. I have no problems swimming in the river. Just don't drink it. I would recommend a shower afterward, just like if I swam in the ocean. Plenty of places to eat and drink nearby, plus the old yuma territorial prison is close

Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Thanks, Mawsdang, and again, all of you. We walked around Gateway Park and along the river, and waded in the river at the beach. It was nice. A nice park! We went to the West Wetlands area too.

Thanks again!

Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

actually no. I recently swam in the Colorado and contracted a rare disease from some water logged tree sitting at the bottom of the river. I would highly recommend to stay out of the water. yes what I contracted was rare but why take the chance. I now have transverse myolytis and there is no cure. take what I've said into consideration please.

Edited: 06 November 2016, 15:44
Yuma, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

Can you take dogs on leash to swim at gateway park?

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?

soisusannavygirl, sorry for not seeing your question sooner. You most certainly are welcome to take leashed dogs to Gateway Park for a swim in the water.

Reply to: Swimming in Colorado river while in Yuma?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted