We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time in Bentonville?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
How much time in Bentonville?

We are thinking about a road trip from KC to Bentonville to see Crystal Bridges, and/or Eureka Springs. I didn't realize they are only an hour apart, so now we are thinking both! How much time should we spend in Bentonville - would one day do it? Perhaps we could spend the night before and the night after there, and head to ES the next morning? Is there much to do - - ? Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
1. Re: How much time in Bentonville?

The first time we went, we spent sround three and a half hours in the Crystal Bridges galleries, another hour and a half in the cafe and museum store and almost two hours in the gardens and on the trails. That's a full day. There is also a great library and we did not see half the trails. Stay at Museum Hotel 21C and walk to the museum through the beautiful wooded trail built by Crystal Bridges. Be sure and ask them to show you all the art galleries within the hotel. The hotel is just off the downtown square in Bentonville which is fun to walk. The hotel offers free bikes (first come first served when we were there.) Sam Walton's original five and dime is on the square, restored to its pre-Walmart days and serving as a museum. There are several nice restaurants in the downtown, with the most buzz going to "The Hive" in the Museum Hotel 21C. Check out the little crepe wagon across from the hotel run by a card carrying Frenchman. If you have kids, plan to spend time in the fun little water park next to the hotel run by the city. So maybe two nights at 21C, including a full day at Crystal Bridges, and a morning in Bentonville and then a short drive to Eureka for more time. There are other things to do in the area depending on your interests. There are two outstanding Civil War Battlefields,. one run by the Federal Government (Pea Ridge) and the other a State Park, (Prairie Grove.) Fayetteville has a really nice weekend farmer's market on its handsome square. Nearby is Dickson Street Books, an outlandish antiquarian/used book store which is like catacombs. There are lots of ethnic amd interesting restaurants in Fayetteville including my fav in nearby Johnson, James at the Mill (which has an Inn which is a bit more resonable than 21C.) Devil's Den State Park, just south of Fayetteville is a gorgeous WPA era park. There is much more sight-seeing available, especially when you are in Eureka. There, you are a reasonable drive from "Buffalo River Country" - the Buffalo National River is one of America's most beautiful. It is mostly a very easy river to paddle and there are some wonderful hikes in the area. So back to your original question - how much time? I have loved 2-3 day trips to NW Arkansas... and if I stay and hike or paddle, add a couple more! One reminder - You may find difficulty renting rooms in Eureka for one night in your desired location.

crystalbridges.org

www.thehivebentonville.com

www.21cmuseumhotels.com/bentonville

www.crepespaulette.com

arkansasstateparks.com/prairiegrovebattlefie…

www.nps.gov/peri

www.jamesatthemill.com

www.innatthemill.com

www.eurekasprings.org

www.thorncrown.com

www.nps.gov/buff

www.arkansasstateparks.com/devilsden

www.fayettevillefarmersmarket.org

Edited: 12 May 2014, 23:09
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: How much time in Bentonville?

Thank you so much! What great information! I'll let you know how it goes - - -

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
498 posts
371 reviews
3. Re: How much time in Bentonville?

We have gone to Bentonville the last three years for the KCBS Sam's National BBQ contest. Every year, we find new things in and around Bentonville. jimjade3 is right on target. We second Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove. We have also enjoyed the Farmer's Market. Table Mesa Bistro in town is such an excellent restaurant. Hobb's State Park has all kinds of activities for children and great hiking trails. Fayetteville, further to the south, also has a great farmer's market. We also like going to War Eagle to the Mill there. Last time, they had great bands playing on the porch. If you are lucky enough to go during the great craft shows in October in Bella Vista or War Eagle, that's really fun too.

Sylva, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: How much time in Bentonville?

I agree with Jim Jades comments. I'd add that we were very, very impressed with the Native American Museum. It's small and subdued, but it has a great collection of regional artifacts. There is very rare pottery including effigies and interesting feather headdresses and bead work. For someone with children or who has just a slight interest in Native American history, I'd say that one half hour is probably enough time. For people like ourselves who are very interested, I'd say allow at least an hour.

The audio information system is excellent. The museum is free.

Reply to: How much time in Bentonville?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bentonville