We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

central accommodation for disabled visitor

London
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
central accommodation for disabled visitor

Hi All - would appreciate any advice please. Want to spend 4 nights in Padstow in late April and need a central location which will enable my husband, who gets breathless climbing slopes and steps, to explore the area around the harbor. Any thoughts on B&Bs, hotels that would be suitable? Car parking would be a bonus but I can always drop him off and go elsewhere to park.

Thanks a lot.

8 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

Does it have to be Padstow? Although the town is flat, much of the accommodation would be up hill.

England, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

Hi. So you basically need a downstairs bedroom in the centre of town? Perhaps you could contact the tourist information. They might be able to help. The area around the harbour is flat and you have direct access from town to the Camel Trail: Flat and lots of benches along the way to sit down, have a rest and enjoy the views.

England, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

Ah, I think the Old Ship Hotel has downstairs bedrooms and parking as well.

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
731 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

Speak to visit Cornwall - the tourism organisation. explain to them what you need and I am sure that they will be able to point you in the right direction. also look out for hotels with M rating for mobility. as others have said though, you do need to consider how you are going to get around once you are in the hotel as you could find its a downstairs room with wheelchair access but at the top of a steep hill

London
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

Thanks all for your messages. We came to Padstow about 10 years ago when mobility wasn't such an issue and my memory of it is that the area around the harbor is flat and then there are steep hills in all directions. So we'd like to find somewhere within the flat bit if possible. Sorry I wasn't clear - my husband is not in a wheelchair and can manage one flight of stairs but can't do more than that and no hills. So do you know anywhere, B&B or Hotel, in the flat bit. The other alternative is to stay at the top of a hill and drive to the flat bit. Will parking be a nightmare in end April? I'll certainly talk to the tourist offices. Thanks for your help.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
721 reviews
6. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

The Old Ship Hotel and the Old Custom House have accommodation in the flat part near the harbour, as does The Golden Lion (only three rooms I believe) and St Petroc's (just a few steps to the street)). The larger Metropole Hotel also overlooks the harbour and is not far up a hill. There are also a number of bed & breakfast places on the flat harbour level. However, whether any have ground floor rooms I don't know, but I expect the tourist office can give advice and more information of the b&bs.

London
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

Thanks very much. I'll check out those options.

England, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: central accommodation for disabled visitor

As it isn't school holiday time at the end of April you should be ok. Old Ship Hotel has it's own parking space behind the hotel, Metropole as well. The other accommodations mentioned by Malabarfly haven't. But at that time you should be ok finding a space in the public car parks.

Reply to: central accommodation for disabled visitor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Padstow
Recent Conversations