We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrow road to Mwnt

Gorleston-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
13 posts
163 reviews
Narrow road to Mwnt

I will be visiting Cardigan in a week's time and really want to visit Mwnt. I have read that the lanes up to the car park are very narrow and wondered if anyone could advise as to how difficult it is to get by if someone is coming the other way, ie are there lots of brambles, are there passing places or is it not that narrow? Alternatively, can anyone suggest where we could park nearby and walk to the top of Mwnt (max 2 miles each way) ? thank you to anyone who can advise x

5 replies to this topic
Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
441 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Narrow road to Mwnt

You shouldn't have a serious problem - yes, some of the lanes are narrow, but there is certainly enough room to drive normally w/o worrying about scraping the sides of your vehicle. Those lanes do not have many curves, so your visibility of the road ahead is usually not impaired. To my recollection, there also are wide spots to allow passing by an oncoming vehicle in any very narrow sections. Just pay attention to the ones you pass by - you may need to reverse depending on the situation.

I wouldn't let the road conditions prevent you from visiting the Mwnt beach - a very enjoyable and attractive cove - one of our favorites in Ceredigion.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 10:29
Gorleston-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
13 posts
163 reviews
2. Re: Narrow road to Mwnt

Hi NJXJ, Thanks so much for your reply. I have a very old photo of me as a 3 yr old by the chapel, and really wanted to go back some 46 years later!! Will definitely pay a visit now. Thanks

PJ
Level Contributor
112 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Narrow road to Mwnt

I concur with NJXJ, having driven there myself. The road is undoubtedly narrow but there are wider areas at intervals to allow two cars to pass each other. Yes it was unnerving at first but as long as you watch out for oncoming cars you should be alright. The traffic is not very heavy anyway. And the scenery yoi get at the end of it is certainly worth the effort.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Narrow road to Mwnt

They are the same width as any country lane with passing places that you would find in Devon, Cornwall or any similar rural area - fine for one car/van, but not wide enough for 2. As mentioned above, there is very little traffic on those roads so you may not encounter someone coming the other way anyway.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,522 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: Narrow road to Mwnt

We haven't encountered any problems on our two visits. There are loads of places to pass if you do happen to meet something coming the other way. There are far worse places to drive in Wales!

Reply to: Narrow road to Mwnt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardigan