We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Barmouth

Queensland
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Planning a trip to Barmouth

I am about to start planning a trip to Barmouth, I have allowed myself almost two years to plan this trip. My grandmother was from Barmouth (she emigrated to Australia to marry after the 1st world war), I will finally have the opportunity to see the Barmouth I had heard about while growing up.

I plan to fly into Heathrow from Brisbane, Australia spend a few days then head to Barmouth. What is the best way to get to Barmouth from London without driving?

I would like to stay in Barmouth to experience her home town so I'm looking for an ideal place to stay, either homestay or small hotel, All recommendations gratefully accepted.

23 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

If not driving, then there is a great rail trip lined up. London Euston to Birmingham international then change to a train heading to Barmouth, the very last stop on the Service. First leg just over an hour, the second leg rather close to 4 hours winding though mid-Wales.

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk and set from as “London Euston” and to as “Barmouth”. Ticket prices will only be displayed for the next 3 months or so but set to a date in the future to get an indication of the price.

Queensland
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

Thank you so much for this information, great website. I love train travel so this to me is the perfect way to see the countryside as we journey to Barmouth.

I just did a dummy booking and it comes in at around 167 pounds which is about AUD300.

This is a great start to our planning.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

The cheapest tickets are Advance Singles where you have to travel on the booked train

these are usually released about 12 weeks prior to travel but for various reasons there have been delays this year

However there are single fares from Euston to Birmingham International from £10.00 and from there to Barmouth for £19.00

i suggest you consult www.seat61.com for information on rail travel in UK and how to book tickets from abroad

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
682 posts
173 reviews
4. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

Train from Euston to Birmingham New Street, ( not Birmingham International )change to an Aberystwyth bound train, get off at Machynlleth & get to the Pwllheli bound train ( Pwllheli is final stop) & get off at Barmouth. Try to reserve your seat as the trains from Birmingham can get very crowded.

Queensland
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

Thank you, I have used Seat61 before for international train travel, great advice. Looking at the options I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to stay at least one night in Birmingham on the way. I do plan on booking the tickets prior to arrival in the UK.

EdinaCloud, I am a little confused, on the national rail website it shows the only change is at Birmingham. Is your suggestion an alternative and better option, or am I missing something.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
449 reviews
6. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

EdinaCloud may be using local knowledge of the trains ... but the National Rail journey planner lists a train to Birmingham International (the airport), from there a train that sets off from there direct to Barmouth. It may vary with the time of day as there are only a few trains a day that make the direct journey.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

The trains to Pwllheli via Barmouth start at Birmingham International

I have used them many times myself

The only caveat if the train from Wales is running late they sometimes start the return journey at New Street

The only other thing to watch is that they split into two sections at Machynlleth, but its no problem as very clear which portion to be on

Edited: 24 June 2018, 10:58
Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
682 posts
173 reviews
8. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

There is no need to travel onto Birmingham International on the Euston train, get off at New Street & change trains there. Yes I am using local knowledge.

Edited: 24 June 2018, 14:58
Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
682 posts
173 reviews
9. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

Sorry PMQuestion I only just noticed your query. The change at Machynlleth should read that the train splits half goes to Aberystwyth & half to Pwllheli via Barmouth

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Planning a trip to Barmouth

i wish EdinaCloud wouldn;t keep giving incorrect information, she doesn't know what she is taking about, ignore her posts

Birmingham International is before New Street from Euston

Edited: 24 June 2018, 15:10
Reply to: Planning a trip to Barmouth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barmouth