We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in southern patagonia

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
7 nights in southern patagonia

My husband and I are flying into El Calafate and out on March 11th.

I had considered 2 nights in El Calafate initially, renting a car, driving down to Torres Del Paine for 4 nights then back to el Calafate for another night before our departure on the 11th. We are very interested in day treks. Now I am considering eliminating torres del Paine and spending 4 nights in El Chalten instead for the following reasons...it's much closer than Torres del Paine, easier access, and more available trekking.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

Argentina
Level Contributor
117 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

Hi, Rosemary.

I would definitely suggest you visit El Chaltén because it's the perfect place for day treks. You can read all my recommendations in the following thread (user cecimos): tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g316035-i10843-k56…

I will be there in February for the 6th time so I know the place like the palm of my hand.

If there is anything you need to know, just write back.

Cecilia

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

Hola Rosemary,

I think Chalten is a perfect base for day trekks- however, I love Torres del Paine, and I also think is trekking paradise. So, probably, at least, save it for the next time.

In Chaltén I would recommend; Laguna de los Tres, Cerro Torre and Lago del Desierto.

Have a lovely time there!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

Rosemary Torres del Paine can be a little laborious to get to, but to get so near and not see it would be such a shame. Torres del Paine is the star attraction of Chile and for good reason. El Chalten is also beautiful but nothing in this world will compare to Torres del Paine imho. Chalten Travel do run a daily tour from El Calafate to Torres del Paine, leaving very early (something like 5 am and returning very late) It could be an option though, just to be able to see it. If hiking is what you are really interested in certainly you will get that in El Chalten but if this is a one off trip I would look at incorporating Torres del Paine somewhere in your itinerary.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

I hiked in El Chalten and Torres del Paine last year, and actually preferred El Chalten. TDP is great and all, but we enjoyed the atmosphere and set up at El Chalten (and it's not nearly as commercialized). We were camping so I can't speak too much about particular day trips at either place.

A post I wrote comparing the two: stephandben.com/2012/04/patagonia-conclusion…

And this one about what we liked in El Chalten: stephandben.com/2012/03/el-chalten-conclusio…

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
5. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to reply to my post. We have decided to stay in the El calafate /El chalten area for our 7 night stay to minimize time on the road. Then, we may return to the area for another trip, this time entirely in chile. I am so grateful for my tripadvisor contacts!

Argentina
Level Contributor
117 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

How many days will you stay at El Calafate?

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
7. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

We plan to be in El Calafate for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and 1 night at the end of the week.

Argentina
Level Contributor
117 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

There's not much to see apart from the Glacier, of course. And that takes you one day.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
9. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

Hi Ben, thanks so much for your reply and for your very informative blog. Looks like you and steph had a wonderful time in Patagonia. We plan to spen a week down there, another week in Bariloche and another in Salta. Our entire time in Argenitna will be about 30 days, with a few in Buenos aires and a couple in Colonia Uraguay. Looking forward to all of it !

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: 7 nights in southern patagonia

Glad to help! Those are great places to go. Of all the places I'd want to return to in Argentina, I think the Salta area would be at the top of my list. (Our motorcycle trip there: http://www.stephandben.com/2011/11/motorcycle-trip-day-3-monteros-to-salta.html)