We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misc

Hudson, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Misc

Are there food shortages? Electric reliable? Any issues getting to and from the airport?

10 replies to this topic
Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misc

No, there are no food shortages. Electrical system is A-ok, and the airports (all of them) are fine.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Misc

On the contrary from someone who actually lives here.

The electrical system is collapsing throughout the country.

There are numerous states on mainland Venezuela suffering rationing of power of periods of up to 4 hours at a time.

Here in Margarita we are a little more stable but certain areas of the Island are still receiving cuts every day.

While food generally is available a large percentage of the population can not afford to pay for it. The combined minimum wage (basic salary + food bonus) is just Bs.1.350.000 per MONTH - about US$6.

Just a kilo of cheese can cost Bs.600.000 or more.

While the airports are operating there are no planes to fly into them. Getting a national flight these days is virtually impossible due to reduced flights and maintenance problems.

Getting to and from the airport is not a problem however you will need to have cash to pay for the taxi. That is a very difficult and expensive situation. There is very little cash available so "cash mafias" have formed. If you want cash you have to pay a premium - around 100% or more.

Also if you have a US passport you will need a visa to enter Venezuela.

Edited: 20 March 2018, 05:35
B.C.
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Misc

I can only assume " A-OK, all fine, no shortages" is pure sarcasm.

Playa gives an honest and accurate account of conditions here.

Hudson, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Misc

ok. Looking to stay for some time on Margarita Island with my wife and two cats. The apartment we are looking at said he would accept the cats. Any other suggestions on a trip to the island. Thank you for the info.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Misc

I am sorry PlayaelAgua/everybody, I didnt mean to be sarcastic.

From the standpoint of someone who goes to lecheria on business every other month or so, tourists and expatriates are having a great time. in Lecheria (were I stay) the electrical system is pretty reliable , all grocery stores are in full supply restaurants are open for busines (and new ones opening frequently). This may not be the case for some parts of Venezuela but Lecheria and Puerto la Cruz are fin. And oh by the way the aiport is small but pretty acceptable with a nice restaurant -Aerobar-). It sucks to be a contrarian but this is my reality as I see it.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Misc

And you are correct...getting on a plane paying in bolivares is crazy impossible.

But try and use either despegar, orbitz or expedia and pay in US dollars and you will see plenty of flights (at least with Avior)....

B.C.
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Misc

Arrived at 10 a.m. for an Avior flight to Barcelona. Taxied out to take off plane problem returned terminal(still no water) deplaned another plane arrived from Caracas. Left 3 hrs late for Barcelona.

Left 1 hr late for Miami.

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Misc

Margarita is the cheapest island in the world. There are no shortages of food or electricity...that`s just bs...also, the devaluation of bolivars is ridiculous....you get now on the street 20% on top of the dolar today page...regarding safety, if you use your common sense, nothing will happen to you. Cash could be a problem, but it is an easy fix, you can exchange your US dollars for cash in Bolivars.

don`t be afraid to come, it is a perfect island for a month vacation and you won`t spend more than 500$, even less for a month of living as a king.

I live here 5 years, without leaving the island and it is a paradise, million times better than any other island around

nyc ny
Level Contributor
63 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Misc

It is sad to see the sitauation in Venezuela these days. I stayed on Margarita Island back in 1990. It was my best beach vacation ever. Stayed in a small botique type hotel on the beach. The owners wife made us all our meals home cooked. They shopped for us, had fresh fish everyday. The owner also had a small Tiki Bar and an occasional local musician would play for their happy hour. The economy was good then for Venezuela, now it's a disaster. tuff to see, and as am American, you can't travel back there.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
181 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Misc

travelguyNycNy did you ever though why if the economy was good there where shanty towns, and people has been in the streets one year before of your stay looting for food with hundreds of deads?

So, for a tourist what you did is completely feasible now, far cheaper than when you where there, specially for an american with dollars.

And americas not only can travel back, but they do, in small quantities because of all of that they see in tv and the fact of requiring visa.I helped one last month.

Reply to: Misc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted