We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
159 posts
162 reviews
Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

Researching this area for a trip next week. It sounds like a short, beautiful hike to the falls but I was wondering if it is worth going out of the way for. I read somewhere that the falls are not impressive unless it is Spring or after a lot of rain.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

haven't actually hiked that trail. just wanted to let you know we've had quite a bit of rain this last month. this is the 1st week we haven't had any rain in a while.

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
2. Re: Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

I queried Tim Ernst, the expert on Arkansas trails and President of Ozark Highlands Trail Association and he responded today: "This is normally the driest time of the year, but there probably is some water at Little Missouri Falls. It is a terrific hike at any time of the year no matter if the cascades are running well or not and I would always recommend this trail...

See ya in the woods,"

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
159 posts
162 reviews
3. Re: Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

Thanks for the info. Sounds great. Can't wait to get up there.

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
159 posts
162 reviews
4. Re: Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

I know this is much later, but I just wanted you to know that it was well worth the drive to the picnic area (very clean!) and the hike to the falls. There was enough water to make several falls (this was in early November). The hike was short, the air cool and crisp, and the colorful leaves were beautiful. It was so quiet,except for the sound of the water....no one was around. Peaceful.

I love Arkansas in the fall, period.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

This is a very short hike...only a few hundred feet, to my recollection, but a very nice falls. If you'd like a longer walk in the woods, another nice trail in the vicinity is the trail along Caney Creek in the Caney Creek wilderness Area. And one of my favorites is the Buckeye trail which runs on the ridge above Caney Creek in the same wilderness area. There won't be any waterfalls like on the Little Missouri, but both trails are very scenic.

6. Re: Little Missouri Trail in the Ouachitas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Glenwood
Recent Conversations