We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitors Beware of Heber Springs

Save Topic
Visitors Beware of Heber Springs

I am 70 & a good Samaritan. Visited Heber 8/21/17. Ticketed for rescuing abandoned kitten. Time was 10:50 AM, drove to WalMart to buy cat supplies. Parked on grass in full tree shade, windows down, believing it was safe/secure for 27 minutes in store. Local Animal Control Officer came, immediately accused me - animal cruelty! Had kitten for 40 minutes.

I politely explained my rescue. AR Animal Cruelty law leaves up to officer what is animal cruelty. His was, if temp was 90 deg F or over, it is animal cruelty. It was not 90 degrees! Asked for proof of 90 degrees. He produced iphone, pointed to screen at an angle to me 3 ft away in bright sun and told me 90 degrees? I never saw anything on that screen.

He ticketed - animal cruelty. Fine to $1,000 & up to 1 year jail & psychiatric evaluation I pay for. I vol surrendered it, I was afraid of him. Have to hire attorney, go back to Heber for court.

National Weather Service quoted - was 86 at 11:00 AM, 87 at 11:30 AM at ticketing, 88 at noon. He made up his own law, lied to me to ticket. He clearly abused his authority. No city official will help me and they have lied to me to cover this travesty. Do not go to Heber Springs very risky due to corrupt City government!

3 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitors Beware of Heber Springs

Why, as a visitor, wouldn't you take the kitten directly to the animal shelter or anywhere else that would accept it instead of driving to Walmart for cat supplies? If the officer's phone says 90 degrees, it's 90 degrees there at that time. Three degrees from where the weather service measures temps to the hot sun at Walmart is entirely possible.

You made a mistake. You'll have your day in court to plead your case. You have no reason to trash a lovely town with lovely people because you got caught doing something you shouldn't have.

2. Re: Visitors Beware of Heber Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 September 2017, 05:05

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitors Beware of Heber Springs

No good deed goes unpunished. I think that applies in this instance.

Reply to: Visitors Beware of Heber Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Heber Springs