We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Sosua. Trip report part 2

Which Sosua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Sosua. Trip report part 2

Food- Being in an apartment, I went to the supermarket and got a few things, so some meals I cooked for myself in the apartment. Supermercado Playero has a huge selection of everything you could possibly need. In general, any products not made in the DR are extremely expensive compared to back home. You will see many brands from home, but seeing how much they cost here you will begin to take a liking to some of the Dominican brands in record time. The restaurants I ate at while in Sosua were:

Rocky's- always great for breakfast. Good food and Cheap!

On the Waterfront- Food and service excellent but very expensive. Gorgeous views.

La Roca- the best all around meal I had in Sosua this week. On Friday night they had all you can eat BBQ for 375 pesos plus tax. Despite this deal, the place was nearly empty!

Oh la vache!- Good pizza, fun atmosphere, reasonable prices

PJ's- Food average, a little expensive for what they were offering. The best thing going here is that they are open 24hours.

Checkpoint bar- always a great hangout

Britannia Pub- Nice hangout, great happy hour specials, but otherwise a tad overpriced.

There are tons of restaurants in this little town and i know that I just scratched the surface on this visit.

The Beach- Fortunately, after a couple days I got some beautiful weather for the rest of my stay. Sosua beach is very lovely but not spectacular like the beaches of the Punta Cana area. Despite that last time I was here I paid 60 pesos for a chair, this time they wanted 100 pesos and would not lower. There is a moderate amount of vendors who were not at all aggressive. There were lots of families on the beach, both locals and tourists. There are tons of food stalls on the beach. Some are reasonably priced and some are expensive. Souvenir shops also line the entrance to the beach, and their shopkeepers keep watch outside to pounce on the tourist who walks by, I didn't go in a single one on this trip. Nothing in there interests me. Several vendors tried to get me to go into their shops but i just kept walking right by them and ignored their very existence and had no problems.

Transportation- I stayed a 10 minute walk from the center fo town so unless I was tired or at night, I walked. Often though i would use the constantly offered services of the motoconcho. I paid 25 pesos in the daytime and 35 at night without problems to anywhere in El Batey area of Sosua. When getting off the motoconcho I would just confidently hand the driver a 25 peso coin and walk away. Most did not appear overly pleased about not getting paid 5 times the normal price like they are from other tourists, but of all the times I used them, only one complained and called me cheap in Spanish and that I should give him all the change in my pockets. I told him loudly in Spanish that every day I pay 25 pesos without problems and I wasn't going to give him a cent more. and called him mentiroso and descarado as I walked confidently into the condo complex. One thing I noticed was afer about 5 days in Sosua of paying normal prices for motoconchos, I noticed that, like magic, I was no longer constantly being offered rides (but i could still get them when I needed it). Word certainly travels fast.

I had no problem using guaguas and publicos for going from town to town. Cabarete is a very easy reach from Sosua, and cheap if you use public transportation. On the way there, I stood on the side of the road and took a carro publico. I requested "dos espacios", offering to pay for 2 spaces in the back seat, that way, there would only be 2 other people in the backseat with me rather than 3 (I'm a fairly large guy). The driver gladly took 50 pesos for the two spaces I would use up and I went to Cabarete relatively comfortably.

Going back I took the guagua, handing the cobrador 20 pesos as I climb in and there were no problems whatsoever. In Cabarete, the van had about 6 other people in it, but by the time I got to Sosua, I was stuffed in there with about about 15 other people. Not the most comfortable method of transport, but the locals were extremely friendly and everyone who knows the words sings along to the bachata on the radio. Tons of local flavor here.

Guaguas from Sosua to Puerto Plata are 30 pesos.

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Sosua. Trip report part 2

Hola again!

I always stay at Sosua By the Sea, it's an AI, but it doesn't have the impersonal aspects inherent in most other similar type hotels, it's quite the charming little gem actually - love the place! Still, eating some vaguely familiar variation of the same food gets woefully boring and mundane after day two, so I find myself venturing out to the restaurants more than eating in (other than the breakfast buffet) and like you, I buy a few items at Playero for the 'fridge...

Have to agree with your assessments of Sosua's restaurant scene. I'm curious if you've tried the new one (which seems at this point at least to be getting mixed reviews). It's called Scotch 'n' Sirloin. I'll give it a try in July and report back of course. I'm interested in discovering if any place tops El Toro for steaks in Sosua. I doubt it.

http://terralindaresort.com/en/dining.html

2. Re: Back from Sosua. Trip report part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2010, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Sosua
Recent Conversations