We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should a rockhound mine?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Where should a rockhound mine?

Hello group! My husband and I visited Coleman Mine 5 years ago and we only got a taste of crystal mining on that trip. We have been wanting to mine in Mt. Ida for a while, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which mines to visit. Some look like light tourist spots and some look to have hardcore mining options for real rockhounds that want to get dirty and dig all day. (we want to dig all day and come home with buckets of crystals)

Any suggestions? If you had 3 days, would you stay at your favorite mine, or visit a few? Do you camp, or stay at a motel? We will be traveling in early April.

I understand that it takes a bit of luck to hit the mine at the right time to find a the best tailings, but I'm hoping the experts could share their traveling advice.

Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should a rockhound mine?

I have to admit I haven't been up there in a bunch of years. About all I can say is that Wegner's has been around forever, I've sent a bunch of folks there and they are usually content. They used to be known as the mine with a little more interest than others in the supposed metaphysical aspects of the mineral. I can remember being sorry I did not bring disposable clothes and more sun protection. Wish I could help more.

nkc, mo
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should a rockhound mine?

Wegners is awesome. My wife and I spent a day on the mountain in February of this year. They have a new vein open. I think we bought home close to 300'pounds of crystals. Spent the last three months cleaning them so it's time to go back and get more.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should a rockhound mine?

That sounds great! Thank you for the info!

Mount Ida, Arkansas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should a rockhound mine?

Twin Creek Crystal Mine!!! We would love to have you and there are amazing finds...crystals everywhere

Reply to: Where should a rockhound mine?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Ida
Recent Conversations