We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanside/Carlsbad and Legoland

Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Oceanside/Carlsbad and Legoland

Hi,

We are a family of 5 travelling from Sydney, Australia and are looking to spend 4 nights in or around Oceanside or Carlsbad in mid September. We want to spend a day at Legoland as well as San Diego zoo. Can anyone advise on accommodation? We would prefer a 1 or 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, within a hotel or resort complex that has a pool. The kids are 1, 6 and 8 and our budget will stretch to $180 a night. I've looked at the Grand Pacific Palisades, Homewood Suites, Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa and the Hilton Mabrisa and they all have pros/cons so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Go San Diego Card
74 Reviews
from US$94.00*
LEGOLAND® California
23 Reviews
from US$99.99*
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
127 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,613 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Oceanside/Carlsbad and Legoland

im bumping up this post for you, the carlsbad forum is not as active, you may do better posting in the San Diego forum which is very active.

i can tell you carlsbad is not near the zoo, its about a 45 min drive from carlsbad to sandiego so either way if you stayed in san diego you would be driving to carsbad and vice versa

oceanside is a little farther north than carlsbad so the drive would be more to sandiego.

and carlsbad area i have heard is geared more toward families.

and there are some good areas for families in San Diego.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,808 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Oceanside/Carlsbad and Legoland

I like the town of Carlsbad better than the town of Oceanside.

You could also stay a little further south so you would have better access to other activities like the downtown bayfront with its ships to visit and the La Jolla Cove area with its small rock enclosed(cove) beaches where you can see seals and pelicans in their native environment. There are many other things to see and do in the area besides the animal parks.

Check what each hotel will charge for parking your car while you are deciding which one is best. Homewood Suites has several locations the one in our Liberty Station area is closest to the zoo and downtown but is about 40min. south of Legoland.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Oceanside/Carlsbad and Legoland

If you've got the budget and want to stay in Carlsbad then your top choices are La Costa Resort & Spa (great pools for the kids), Park Hyatt Aviara, and the two hotels next to Legoland.

4. Re: Oceanside/Carlsbad and Legoland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 01:20