We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Lobos on a Sunday?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Point Lobos on a Sunday?

It's been years since I've been to Point Lobos. My cousin is visiting with him family in a couple of weeks, and I'll be taking them from San Jose to visit Carmel and do a little kayaking in Elkhorn Slough.

I would prefer to go to Elkhorn Slough first, have lunch in Carmel and then go to Point Lobos. However, I've read that Point Lobos is limited to 450 people and you can end up waiting to get in, sitting on Hwy1. Since it will be a weekend, I'm especially worried about that.

Would it be better to go to Point Lobos first in the morning? I think the earliest we could get there would be 10am. I'd rather not have to picnic there, but if this would save us from having to wait a long time to get into the park in the afternoon, I'd consider making this change.

Mentioned in this post
Lobos Lodge
Lobos Lodge
482 Reviews
Carmel, CA
San Jose
San Jose
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Point Lobos on a Sunday?

Before I say anything else, let me say that I'm giving you my best guess since I honestly don't know when Point Lobos is more crowded--morning or afternoon. September is still a busy time here (Sept. 21-23 is the Jazz Festival, so I hope you won't be coming then), but it will probably be less busy than in the summer months. If you do come in the morning, you can spend, say, three hours there and still have lunch in Carmel. However, if the idea is to get there really early to beat the crowds, I'm not sure if 10:00 is early enough since Point Lobos opens at 8 am. I hope someone can be more helpful than I've been.

Mentioned in this post
Lobos Lodge
Lobos Lodge
482 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Point Lobos on a Sunday?

Thanks PG. It will be Sunday 9/7, so no worries about the jazz festival. Obviously, it would be better if it's less crowded, but not really concerned with that, as long as we can get in without having to wait (i.e. still under 450 person limit).

I may try calling the ranger station there tomorrow, to see if I can get information.

3. Re: Point Lobos on a Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 08:18