We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping right on the beach?

Ca
2 posts
Save Topic
Camping right on the beach?

I was wondering if it is ok to camp on the beach over night?

Southern California
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping right on the beach?

I'm not 100% sure about Carmel but I know there are some beautiful camping sites in Big Sur, which only a 20 minute drive. Make sure to call before you make reservations since I know there were lots of fires in the area earlier in the season.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping right on the beach?

As far as I know, overnight camping on the beach is not allowed in this area. I'm not sure about Big Sur (which is an hour away). There are great campgrounds there, but I don't know about camping on the beach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping right on the beach?

I don't think it's allowed, and I don't think it would be very safe to camp directly on the beach in this area, with dangerous sleeper waves possibly washing you out to sea. But there are a couple of state parks around Monterey Bay where you can camp on a bluff directly above the beach. Sunset and Manresa State beaches≥

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping right on the beach?

Only in designated areas & few right on the beach. Marina Dunes North of Monterrey about 300 yards from the Ocean with 65 RV sites & 10 tent campsites. A bit farther North are New Brighton state beach, Seacliff State Beach both near Santa Cruz. A Walk In site is Manresa State beach about half way between Santa Cruz & Monterrey. In Big Sur another walk in is Andrew Molera State Park.

Get a copy of Foghorns California Camping by Tom Stienstra of the San Fransicos Chronicle with over 1,500 camp grounds in California. The Information is very accurate & is my camping BIBLE. www.foghorn.com $21.95 at most book stores.

Ca
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping right on the beach?

Thanks for the responses

6. Re: Camping right on the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 14:20