We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Topic
where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

Hi all,

On a travel program on Australian television recently we saw a report about Carmel banning the wearing of high heels but tourists can get a fun permission slip as a souvenir.

Can any-one tell me where to get these as I can't remember from the show.

We are coming to CArmel in a few weeks.

thanks

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

Hi. It took some searching but I found this:

"Once upon a time, women could be cited for wearing high heels in Carmel-by-the-Sea due to the danger of injury from the town's cobblestone streets and sidewalks. Today, guests can stop by City Hall and procure a license to wear high heels as a memento of their trip."

City Hall is on Monte Verde St. between Ocean and 7th Avenues.

I'd forgotten about that ordinance, but since I haven't worn high heels since 1981, I guess that makes sense. Have a great time, and watch your step!

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

fantastic,

thanks for all the effort finding it.

It's really for my 16 year old daughter as I am insisiting she wear "sensible shoes" when we are sightseeing and I think she wants this souvenir as a kind of joke.

Level Contributor
37,647 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

This is really funny and interesting info! :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

Syrah, I think you, Puter, Kibblesmom and I should all show up in Carmel in our 5-inch stilettos (yeah, right)! I'll bring the ace bandages if you bring the booze!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

Another interesting ordinance: ice cream cones were once banned on downtown streets. Ice cream parlors could sell only cups to prevent children from sullying the pretty streets with fallen cones. When Clint Eastwood was Mayor he overturned an ordinance that had restricted sales of fast-food, including ice cream cones.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

* "Another interesting ordinance: ice cream cones were once banned on downtown streets. Ice cream parlors could sell only cups to prevent children from sullying the pretty streets with fallen cones." *

Hmmph. If the kids drop the cups, they become litter. Cones are biodegradable, and if they're dropped, they become seagull or squirrel food.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,992 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

I think they were concerned about the ice cream itself - you know, making icky dirty spots on the otherwise pristine streets - LOL. Carmel is an entity unto itself and always good for the entertainment value.

8. Re: where to get souvernir "permission to wear high heels"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 04:25