We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather & New Year's Eve in Carmel??

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Weather & New Year's Eve in Carmel??

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of extending our trip in San Fran to include a few days in Carmel and actually stay there over New Year.

Is this a good time to go there weather wise? And can anyone recommend any romantic cozy luxury hotels that are within easy reach to some of the good restaurants.

Am I right in thinking Carmel is about 3hrs drive from San Fran? Is this a nice drive?

Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather & New Year's Eve in Carmel??

La Playa is a very nice property in Carmel that is walking distance to the restaurants, it is a historic property with beautiful grounds and gardens. If you want something really nice (and pricey) check out the L' Auberge luxury hotel. Casanova would be a nice choice for a romantic meal while in Carmel. The Cypress Inn might be another place you would like. Enjoy your time in Carmel! :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather & New Year's Eve in Carmel??

If you take the most scenic route from SF to Carmel (Hwy 1), it's about 3 hours without stops. There is a faster route (2 hours) that is unattractive: 101 S to 156 WEST to 1 S. And there is a "middle-of-the-road" route (2 - 2.5 hrs) that has some beauty, but is not as nice as the coast route: 280 S to 85 S to 17 S to

1 S.

Weather at that time of year can be very nice, but it's also possible to have rain. The winter is usually either sunny and cool (50s and 60s daytime temps) or rainy. Generally speaking, the heavier rains don't come until later in January, though. Just be sure to bring a rain jacket and pack layers. That's a good rule of thumb for SF, too.

Syrahgirl mentioned the hotels in Carmel that I would have suggested. There is one place that I would recommend outside of Carmel, but it's not as close to restaurants, etc. It's Old Monterey Inn, and it's in a residential neighborhood in Monterey. I suggest it because it's very romantic and charming and the service is excellent. Take a look and see what you think.

3. Re: Weather & New Year's Eve in Carmel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:19