We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Dunsmuir o Portland-Connecting to Rte. 101

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
67 reviews
Drive from Dunsmuir o Portland-Connecting to Rte. 101

Hi, We will be driving from Dunsmuir, CA to Portland, OR starting July 22 and ending on August 1. We are planning on spending three nights in Portland. So we will have 5 days to make the actual drive.

If possible I would like to cut over to 101 shortly after leaving the Mt. Shasta area and go north from Gold Beach on Rte. 101. I want to see Bandon,OR, Eugene, OR and if possible cut over to I-5 via SR 38 through the beautiful Umpqua RIver canyon and pick up I-5 near Drain, OR.

Please let me know if this is possible and thoughts on what routes to take to see these locations. Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome. Jackie

1 reply
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Drive from Dunsmuir o Portland-Connecting to Rte. 101

What about Crater Lake? What you want to do requires some crisscrossing back and forth.

Last summer, we drove up Hwy 97 from Weed and on to Crater Lake. Then we drove beautiful Hwy 138 which is a scenic byway with lots of waterfalls. We then drove to Salem from Roseburg. But, you could head over to the coast from there and backtrack a little to Gold Beach and then up to Florence and over to Eugene. Don't miss Crater Lake if you can help it.

Oh and you should probably post this question on the Oregon forum if you have not done so already.

Edited: 19 March 2017, 13:06
Reply to: Drive from Dunsmuir o Portland-Connecting to Rte. 101
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dunsmuir