We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
23 reviews
Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

I will be turning 60 this June and we have already booked a cottage in South Laguna. My wife and I are vegetarians.

I do most of the cooking/prep, so hoping not to do that on my 60th ...

... the question is, where shall we go?

I am leaning towards the Beachcomber at Crystal Cove ... for sentimental reasons mostly ... my grandparents had a trailer at El Moro "back in the day."

We have enjoyed Zinc previously .... but no views ... would prefer a place with some atmosphere so that I can reflect on 60 years well-lived. :)

In advance, I thank you.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

For your birthday, I'd recommend Splashes at Surf and Sand. The food and service are extraordinary and you can't beat the view -- right above the sand. http://www.surfandsandresort.com/splashes

They offer several vegetarian options and they will also specially prepare a dish for you as you might wish.

Beachcomber is nice but I'd choose it for a casual lunch destination or for one of the other nights of your stay.

Level Contributor
39,095 posts
1,014 reviews
2. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

I agree, Splashes would be very nice for a celebratory meal. We also love The Loft @ The Montage. 🌸

3. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2016, 18:35
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

Thank you so much LSCats and syrahgirl ... I will definitely look into Splashes, and I appreciate you input on Beachcombers.

.... Kind of wondering about the "inappropriate message" removed notification

... hope it was not due to homophobia ...but perhaps just run-of-the-mill restaurant basing ...

Edited: 02 May 2016, 23:13
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

Nothing of the sort. It was from the Laguna Beach Visitors' Bureau. A bit too much promotion to fit within the rules. Not exactly objective recommendations and a pitch to have you contact them. You're welcome to contact the visitors' bureau if you wish and they do have a good website. But this isn't the place for them to advertise.

And Laguna Beach was a safe haven for the gay community in Orange County for many decades when the rest of Southern California was not so welcoming. So I would have no fear of homophobia there.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

Good to know. Thanks, LSCats.

I am aware that Laguna has a long history of being friendly to the gay community.

In fact, my mom (now 81) tells a story of going there in her teens with some girlfriends ... walking along the boardwalk, and they wondered why none of the guys were "hitting" on them ... she said, her brother clued her in that it was because they were interested in boys, not girls. :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
189 reviews
7. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

LOL! I had a similar experience about 35 years ago with one of my man hungry girlfriends, who'd recently moved here from the east coast. We were walking up PCH when she saw a bar packed with men. She said, "Lets go in there! Look at ALL THOSE GUYS!" She would not believe me when I told her it was a gay bar and she was the only one around who didn't know that.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

Good story, LSCats!

I see that you're a destination expert for Laguna. I'll start another thread in the next the next few days because I do have a few more questions on other topics.

Thanks for your help!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

What about Driftwood Kitchen? It's elegant without being stuffy, it's got a great view, and it has good food. I know for sure there are vegetarian small plates (assuming you are ovo-lacto vegetarian and not, say, vegan), but if you call them I am absolutely sure they will accommodate, especially for a milestone anniversary.

Also, no, definitely not due to homophobia. My boyfriend and I walk hand-in-hand down the street and no one has ever even looked askance.

10. Re: Veg-friendly restaurant ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2017, 00:17