We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in LA

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in LA

In september we are starting our 6 week USA holiday from Australia we initially only have 3 nights in LA before driving to Vegas so are trying to work out the best place to stay to get the most out of a short visit. We are considering either Downtown LA or the Hollywood area, but are open to recommendations.

We will be returning to LA at the end of our trip to visit Santa Monica and hopefully catch anything else we missed at the start.

At this point major theme parks are out as we will be doing most of these in Florida.

Price wise we have budgeted $200/n, but are considering airbnb's as close to the recommended areas.

Any help is much appreciated, and let me know if there's any more info needed.

Brett

12 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,022 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in LA

I like to stay in Hollywood.

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in LA

Yeah we were probably swinging more towards hollywood, but there seems to be some nice places to stay in downtown.

But from a tourits point of view I guess Hollywood would be better?

Edited: 17 July 2018, 00:49
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in LA

It depends partly on what you plan to see and do. There is no accommodation that's going to be close to everything if your personal list of "must-dos" includes Santa Monica/Venice, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood, Natural History Museum/CA Science Centre, La Brea Tarpits, Grammy Museum.

Will you have a car?

I have been told more than once that I'm OTT in my planning, but I found a map of LA and stuck a coloured dot on all the sights (and sites) that I wanted to see and things I wanted to do. Then I picked a hotel that was roughly in the middle.

As you have bookended your days in LA you might try and cluster your activities and choose two different hotels.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in LA

Aussiegirl,

I'm curious, what city or hotel was the middle of your dots?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in LA

Your first 3 nights in LA, What do you plan to see/do? I think it should determine where you should stay. So it could neither be Hollywood nor Downtown.

Of those two, I prefer Downtown over Hollywood. why? Hollywood is too small and very touristy. Many people on here say you can see Hollywood in 2 hours because almost everything to see is on Hollywood Blvd's 2 miles or 3kilometers of walking. Nothing much of interest outside of Hollywood Blvd or Vine Street or Caheunga. But downtown is very different. It is not one street or one neighborhood but many small neighborhoods like ethnic areas of Little Tokyo and Chinatown. Also many small districts like the Arts District, Fashion District, Historic Bank and Historic Theater District, Civic Center and Bunker Hills which has the cultural music buildings, museums and government buildings. and the Entertainment District of LA Live/Convention Center and Staples sports arena, El Pueblo Historic District with Olvera Street and Union Station. Each small area you can walk multiple street north/south/east/west and explore the shops, restaurants, bars, and places of interest. So there is a lot of fill up multiple days just in Downtown alone. Here is a youtube video on things to do Downtown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvoV8GodbU

Many tourists never visit Downtown since they only have a limited time to visit more popular places like Disneyland, Universal Studios, beaches, Griffith park, Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in LA

>>I'm curious, what city or hotel was the middle of your dots?<<

In about the middle was the Carlyle Inn on S. Robertson Blvd.

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in LA

@JoseWasHere, your answer is spot on what I was after, thanks. Not too sure about sights and not too concerned if we miss things the first weekend, as we will be back a month later to catch whatever we missed.

If that is all on offer in Hollywood, downtown might be more suited for us and we can travel to Hollywood for the day. Hopefully catch the beaches and Beverly hills on our stop back.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay in LA

You should not stay in Downtown unless this is a repeat visit, you have no interest in visiting beaches, and you are really obsessed with the cultural attractions of Downtown like the Broad and the Grammy Museum.

Please review a map. To get from Downtown to Santa Monica you have to drive through the most congested part of a metro area that is home to 18 million people. Or you can spend 40 minutes riding the Expo Line, which is a light rail line. Light rail trolleys in California are notoriously slow when traveling at grade because we have a lot of bad drivers. The trolleys need to go slow to minimize deaths when they hit or are hit by cars.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay in LA

You are fine to skip Universal in LA, but I wouldn't skip Disney, I'd do at least 2 days at Disney and Six Flags Magic Mountain has more roller coasters than all the parks in Orlando combined.

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay in LA

"but I wouldn't skip Disney", what is so significantly different from Disneyland to Disney world that makes Disneyland unmissable?

Will definitely look more into six flags magic mountain.

@coolceaser, we do not intend on traveling between Downtown and Santa Monica. Our intent is to visit the Downtown/Hollywood areas with the 2 days we have before heading to Vegas. Then visiting Santa Monica and other areas we have missed when we return at the end of the trip when we have more time.

Although I appreciate the scaling reference as it's hard to fathom that this cities population alone has about 70% of our whole countries population.

Reply to: Best area to stay in LA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted