We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving license

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Driving license

Hi all!

I understand if you have a singapore driving license u don need to apply for international driving license. But importantly if i am still under P plate will the rental company let me rent a car?

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
379 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Los Angeles and Hollywood Day Trip...
122 Reviews
from US$198.99*
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
126 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
14 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,221 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving license

You must have a valid drivers license to rent a car.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving license

Hi yes i do. But its a P plate meaning i just passed. So are there any restrictions in the states?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,072 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving license

We don’t know what P Plate is. We do not work for the rental car company so it is best to email hertz or Avis or Alamo or national in SG and ask them

Out here in the US I have not heard of anyone renting a car with a drivers permit. The driver needs a license and there are age restrictions.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving license

You should be able to rent a car with a provisional license but there may be a daily surcharge. There will also be an extra charge if you are under 25 or sometimes 30. You really need to ask the rental companies directly to be sure though.

If your license in in English, you do not need an international driving permit which is simply a translation of a license into English.

All the best.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving license

Oh so international driving lic is just for it to be english. Yes my singapore license is in english. Thanks!

Tullamore,Ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving license

If you’ve just recently passed your driving test in Singapore you need to ask yourself if you really feel comfortable driving in a foreign country. If you feel up to it then study the DMV handbook, take a look at some of your planned routes on google maps. In other words come prepared because driving in a foreign country can be unnerving even for more experienced drivers at first.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving license

Also, go watch videos of LA traffic on YouTube. You need to be prepared for sharp curves, short ramps and short merges on certain LA freeways, especially on SR 110 and US 101.

And read up on unprotected left turns in LA—there are several articles online because it’s that difficult. At the worst intersections at rush hour it can take 15 to 20 minutes to get through.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 09:36
8. Re: Driving license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 July 2018, 10:27

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,242 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving license

"If your license in in English, you do not need an international driving permit which is simply a translation of a license into English.

Oh so international driving lic is just for it to be english. Yes my singapore license is in english. Thanks!"

No, that's not what Stephen said. We've been talking about 2 very different things:

a. An International Driver's PERMIT

b. An International Driver's LICENSE

The former is a simple translation into English of a non-U.S. driver's license (which is not printed in English). It, along with the Driver's License from the non-U.S. country, is sufficient for driving in the U.S. whilst on Holiday.

The latter is a true International License that affords the holder to drive in the U.S. (and elsewhere) for the duration of the license period. As I recall, the first scenario provides driving privileges in the U.S. for up to 90 days. If you intend to stay longer, you would need an International Driver's LICENSE.

I do agree with the previous poster, though. If you are new to driving, I would hesitate before attempting to drive overseas as our traffic rules are very different from what you've been accustomed to.

10. Re: Driving license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 July 2018, 10:28

Reply to: Driving license
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted