We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My First Visit to LA...

Westcliff-on-Sea...
2 posts
My First Visit to LA...

Hi All,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read my first post, i really appreciate it.

I am planning my first trip to LA in a couple of months and i was looking for a bit of advice. I am a big film fan a looking to visit all the sights in Hollywood as i can, i am also looking to pay my respects to some of the great film stars of the past, by visiting their final resting places.

Does any body have any suggestions on where to stay which is quite close to Hollywood and near the Hollywood forever & Forrest lawn cemetery's. I will not be driving whilst i am there so will be using my legs and public transport as much as possible.

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

Aaron.

8 replies to this topic
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: My First Visit to LA...

Hollywood. Although I hate to break it to you like this, but a big film fan would know that the film industry hasn’t really been based in Hollywood for over 40 years. It long ago dispersed all over the Westside and the eastern San Fernando Valley. Not having a car will greatly reduce what you can see, unless you are willing to use lots of taxis or rideshares. You really need a car to efficiently tour all those locations.

Edited: 19 July 2018, 09:32
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,439 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: My First Visit to LA...

What is your budget per night?

Westcliff-on-Sea...
2 posts
3. Re: My First Visit to LA...

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking between $80.00 & $100.00 per night.

Edited: 19 July 2018, 11:09
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: My First Visit to LA...

That's a very low budget, and I hope you can increase it some, as a higher price will put you in a better location, both Metro and safety wise. The Rodeway Inn is nearby and around $125 a night. It's less than a mile walk to the cemetary, it's about a 6 minute walk from the Hollywood & Highland Metro red line station. All the tours and Hollywood attractions can be found near Hollywood & Highland Mall and intersection. Get to the area from LAX via LAX Flyaway bus, which drops you at Hollywood & Vine, use Metro red to Hollywood & Highland, walk to the hotel from there.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,320 posts
1 review
5. Re: My First Visit to LA...

Motel 6 in Hollywood is $110 on a random September weeknight plus 15% room tax so you either need to raise your budget or stay in hostels.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,412 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: My First Visit to LA...

I would recommend that you plan your days via public transit in advance using a trip planner like trips.metro.net and determine the best location for your hotel. (Even if you stay in Hollywood, there are different sections of Hollywood so staying near the best metro rail station or bus stop will save you a lot of time).

The Hollywood Forever Cemetery is served by a number of buses. The DASH Hollywood-Wilshire has the closest bus stop; the DASH Hollywood -- a different bus than the DASH Hollywood-Wilshire -- also has a bus stop that isn't too far away.

Forest Lawn has two locations:

1. Hollywood Hills at 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles

This Park is difficult to reach via public transit; you'll have a final walk of about 2 miles / 3.2 km from the closest bus stop to the Park's entrance.

2. Glendale -- 1712 S. Glendale Av, Glendale

This Park is easier to reach via public transit. The 'final walk' is about .6 miles / 1 km.

Both of these Parks are quite large, btw and are built on massive hillsides so you'll be doing lots of uphill walking. September (if that's when you're coming) is a VERY HOT time of year and these two parks in particular are located in a section of the L.A. metro area that is especially hot. BRING WATER with you (as there are no shops nearby -- there is a 'flower shop' in both cemeteries (maybe they sell water?) and wear sunscreen and a light-colored car to reflect the sun.

In addition to the above cemeteries, also consider visiting Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park. This park is packed with TV and movie stars of yesteryear. Plus, it's very easy to reach (the metro 720 bus to Wilshire/Westwood followed by a short walk. Lastly, the Park is much smaller than the others and its terrain is flat.

In doing some sample trips to these locations, it would appear that staying near the corner of Hollywood Bl & Vine St would be a little bit more convenient than staying near the 'Chinese Theatre' and popular Hollywood attractions like Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum (the two areas are just a 2-minute metro RAIL ride apart but add some time to enter and exit the two stations, and wait for the trains. Alternatively, you can easily take a bus between these 2 areas (about 8 minutes plus 'waiting time' for the bus).

Staying near Hollywood/Vine (versus Hollywood/Highland) will put you closer to the bus stop for the Hollywood Flyaway (express) bus connecting Hollywood with LAX. It will also put you closer to the two Forest Lawn properties as well as the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

You'll be a little further away from the Chinese Theatre, Madame Tussaud's etc further away from the Westwood Cemetery. None of this is a big deal: if you ended up staying near Hollywood/Highland (to the west of Hollywood/Vine) or even near Hollywood/Western (to the east of Hollywood/Vine), you'd just have a few more minutes of transferring (each way) on some of your days.

As far as an afforable accommodation is concerned, it helps a lot if you provide your exact travel dates since, rates vary between weekdays and weekends plus we have a national holiday in September (Labor Day) during which time rates can climb).

Look at the Dunes Inn Sunset (not to be mistaken with the Dunes Inn Wilshire). Also look at the Coral Sands Hotel. BOOK NOW!

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: My First Visit to LA...

Concur with above. Also, Google Maps has the exact locations of bus stops and which lines actually stop at each stop. For example, a motel located right on a bus route may turn out to be as equally inconvenient as one located three blocks away, if the motel is located between bus stops.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: My First Visit to LA...

Don't forget that LA and Hollywood also has a hop on Hop off bus. You can catch it in Hollywood at the Hollywood and Highland Center right in front of the Dolby theater. This bus takes you to Beverly hills and then to Santa Monica and eventually to the Pierce Bros Westside cemetery as well. A stop is located close by. tickets for the Hop on hop off 24 hr pass cost $49 but there is also a 10% senior discount available on proof of age.

Roadway Inn or the Motel Six are about the least expensive options for Hollywood. Please be careful as some areas are a bit shady at night as in any large city.

Reply to: My First Visit to LA...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted