We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with where to stay

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Help with where to stay

Even after reading all the info, I'm still confused and uncertain about where to stay so I'm hoping for some good advice from the experts. We are family of 4 (i/c 2 teen sons) staying in LA for 8 nights. Arriving Christmas Day and staying until after New Year. Plan is to spend appx 3 days seeing the famous sites around Hollywood, doing a studio tour, etc. Then 1 day each going to Nixon/Reagan Libraries and 2 theme park days, probably Universal and Disney. We will have a car, but somewhat anxious about the traffic.

We have a flexible budget, but would like to keep it around $450/night (rate + fees) if possible. We would prefer vacation rental instead of hotel. But I'm uncertain of what area to look and how to feel confident in choosing a rental. We have used vrbo very successfully many times, but LA feels overwhelming with all the different areas. We would consider a hotel, but would need 2 rooms.

I'd thought perhaps somewhere in or close to Hollywood area might be convenient. Any advice is suggestions is truly appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,819 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with where to stay

Stayed at the Quality Inn and Motel 6 in Hollywood before.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with where to stay

Magic castle has 2 bedroom suites where we are going to stay in Hollywood

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with where to stay

Best area to stay and shop for the black Friday sales in LA

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with where to stay

Since you are doing the Nixon Library and Disneyland I would consider relocating to a hotel near Disneyland for one or two nights. Disneyland is about a 40 minute drive from much of LA, and the Nixon Library isn’t much further, so the drive isn’t onerous, but it’s something to consider. Disneyland is an all day activity. The Nixon Library is definitely worthwhile, but it might only take you 2 to 4 hours, so you will want a second activity on that day. Laguna Beach might be a possibility if you are into art and the beach. Note that due to traffic patterns Anaheim is a terrible place to stay for sightseeing LA.

Edited: 21 July 2018, 10:00
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with where to stay

Concur with above. The traffic congestion is often heavy between downtown LA and Buena Park. Look up the website for the huge I-5 South project in Norwalk. Yes, everyone knows all the obvious detours and they get congested too. That’s why you need to stay in two separate locations.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,941 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with where to stay

Your itinerary is spread out - the Nixon Library and Disneyland are an hour or more from LA by car. You'll need to change hotels after a couple nights in Orange County. Stay in either Anaheim or Laguna Beach for your first 2 or 3 nights, then move to a hotel in LA.

Private rentals are under fire currently, and laws are always changing. They are illegal in West Hollywood and Santa Monica. Anything you book now, could be unavailable when you arrive, if laws change for other parts of LA. For now, you could look in the zip code 90036, which is Hollywood, but nearer the Grove area. Also look in Pasadena, perhaps Altadena. That time of year doesn't have any traffic, so you can look further afield for an entire home, I know of a few fantastic private rentals in those areas of LA.

Note that you're here when all the Rose Bowl fans are here. LA is all about the Rose Bowl on the 1st and hotel rates will be higher. Book a hotel now that you can cancel, if you find a private rental that works for you.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with where to stay

Traffic is usually light the week between Christmas and New Years as many companies give their employees that week off.

Short term rentals are also illegal in the South Bay beach cities of Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beach in addition to the cities Elle listed.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with where to stay

Thank you for all the suggestions. Really appreciate the idea to split our stay. I think we will stay in LA first, then move to Anaheim last few days in order to avoid the Rose Bowl crowds. I will try search Airbnb for the 90036 zip code. I had found several rentals within walking distance of Hollywood & Highland that I liked. Would that be a good, safe area? While I knew certain areas did not permit rentals, I didn't realize laws might change and go into effect before my trip.

Level Contributor
6,241 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with where to stay

Rentals with several great reviews & walking distance to Hollywood & Highland would be fine but there really isn't enough there to keep you busy for 3 days. Walk of Fame and the souvenir shops takes a couple of hours, then maybe the wax museum or a holiday movie.

Walking distance to THE GROVE & FARMERS MARKET would be a more pleasant area than H&H especially over the holidays.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with where to stay

TomMalley, I have been looking at The Grove area and I think you are absolutely right. It looks like this would be much more convenient to restaurants, etc. and still convenient to things we want to do. Appreciate the advice. I’m going to focus on rentals in that area.

Reply to: Help with where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted