We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

Hey guys

My girlfriend and I are travelling to the U.S. in October. Our first destination is Las Vegas, then Utah (for family) and finally drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

We really wanna see a lot of things, but I know for sure my girlfriend wants to go "Star Shopping" and see the different places where the celebrities live.

Does anyone have a Star Map you can get for free somewhere?

Also any pointers of must-see attractions are welcome! We love beaches, shopping, sightseeing and activities (like theme parks and such).

Best regards

Carl

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
7 replies to this topic
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

For tourists LA is unusual in several aspects. We are a spread out metropolitan area, we have an extremely large number of potential tourist attractions, and, with the possible exception of Disneyland in Anaheim, qualify as a “must-see. For you, consider Disneyland, Venice Beach on a weekend during the day, a serious movie studio tour like Warner Bros, Universal Studios, a bike ride along the beach bike path that runs from Santa Monica to Redondo Beach, the Getty Center, and the view from the Griffith Park Observatory at night. On the right hand side of the full web version of the Trip Advisor LA Forum page are suggestions on what to see.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,308 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
32,102 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Redondo Beach
Redondo Beach
California
The Getty Center
The Getty Center
12,868 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Griffith Park
Griffith Park
2,900 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,681 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

I have never understood the tourist obsession with celebrity homes, but that’s probably because I’m aware that most of them are hard to see from the outside.

If you want to see celebrities, you need to attend a fan convention like Comic Con (in progress right now in San Diego), WonderCon, or D23 Expo. You can catch highlights of all these conventions on YouTube. For example, I was at D23 last August to watch Alan Horn present Disney’s live-action film slate; they had on stage most of the film stars, including most of the stars associated with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited: 21 July 2018, 11:16
Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

The only way one will see celebrity homes is to take a walk along the beach in Malibu - going in either direction from the Malibu Pier. You won't know which home belongs to which celebrity, but take my word that they are actors you know. One direction from the Pier is a beautiful walk along Carbon Beach, the other is equally beautiful Malibu Colony.

You can also take one of the Starline Tours listed on their website.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Malibu Pier
Malibu Pier
695 Reviews
Malibu, CA
Malibu Colony
Malibu Colony
39 Reviews
Malibu, CA
Starline Tours
Starline Tours
3,837 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

I had a typo in my earlier post. With the possible exception of Disneyland, none of the many tourist attractions in LA would qualify as a “must-see” that people would think you crazy if you skipped. We have many good art galleries, but no Louvre, no Crown Jewels, Tivoli Gardens, or Tower of London.

In other cities I’ve done bus tours similar to Star Lines. I found the sight seeing bus tours somewhat entertaining and convenient, but expensive for what you get. For the homes of the star tours I assume that you are just seeing houses. As previously suggested walking along the beach in Malibu or walking the Strand in Manhattan Beach would also be good ways to see nice houses.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,266 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

If you go to Hollywood walk of fame, you'll find someone there selling maps. If not there, head west on Sunset to find one of them!

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Hollywood Walk of Fame
14,662 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,791 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

Don't see where they lived... see where they are buried!

https:/…index.shtml

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,036 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in L.A in October - Star tour

There are always vendors selling 'maps to the star's homes' on Sunset Bl to the west of the intersection of Whittier Drive (the portion of Sunset Bl that is very curvy). Stay in the right lane and be prepared to make a right turn to meet with a vendor. The accuracy of these maps is not guaranteed!

There are Celebrity Homes Tours that take you to see these homes. Starline Tours conducts one in the Beverly Hills/Hollywood area as well as one in Malibu. In general, their tours are considered to be the most accurate. Tell your GF, though, that celebs no longer 'all live in L.A.' like they did 50 years ago. They live all over the U.S. and the World; and, even within the greater L.A. area, they are spread out in dozens of districts. So, the likelihood of passing by the home of a current celeb that is known to her and a fav is relatively small.

Mentioned in this post
Starline Tours
Starline Tours
3,837 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
1,306 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,356 Reviews