We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown hotel recommendation .

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18 posts
Downtown hotel recommendation .

Please can anyone recommend a nice hotel near a metro in Downtown LA for a family with children, I am flexible with budget per night .

I have decided not to drive during this holiday .

Thank you

13 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

Downtown has a lot higher end boutique, luxury and business type hotels. A lot of old budget types closed or renovated to be more higher end boutique.

Intercontinental Hotel and Sheraton Grand are directly across the street from the 7th Street Metro station located with many shops, restaurants from fast food to fine dining.

Also nearby but within a 5 minute walk are Hilton Checkers, Athletic Club hotel, Westin Biltmore, LA Grand

About a 10 minute walk from 7th street Metro station and less than 5 minute walk from Pico Metro station are many hotels located near L.A Live entertainment district of LA. Includes the Luxe Hotel, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott, Courtyard and Residence Inn by Marriott, and Indigo Hotel. Area has more mid to higher range $$ restaurants to cater to those going to basketball/hockey games, major concerts, conventions and other large events. Not so much budget range. Both areas are safer parts of Downtown especially at night.

Check out some of reviews for the places I mentioned. Also many youtube videos on some of these newer hotels to get an image what it is like from the visitors.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

What is your itinerary? Why are you staying in downtown LA? How old are the kids?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
3. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

I love the Biltmore

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,412 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

I'm with Hitch. I suspect that downtown is not the best choice for you as it is not in the center of our massive city and it's not kid-friendly. (It's like 'the City' in London -- largely, a business district).

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

Hi ,

We get to LA 19 December and we return back to London 29 . My plan is sightseeing , shopping and going to Lego land during the Christmas holiday for 3 night . My kids are ages 4 and 6 .

I will not be driving so I need somewhere with good train connections and Center of most sightseeing

Thank you

Edited: 18 September 2018, 02:00
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

Please Where do you recommend ?

I will not be driving and need somewhere close to train station and access to attractions.

Thank you

Level Contributor
6,573 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

L.A. is 1200 sq km so nothing is central to all attractions. 4 and 6 yr old will require car seats for bus, taxi or Uber so yes you'll need bus and train if you don't carry car seats with you everywhere.

Downtown may be best though there is little there for children. Flyaway Bus goes from LAX to Union Station, then you'll need a hotel on the tube line. You can take the tube/red line to Hollywood.....the light rail to the Science Center or out to Santa Monica, and the city buses to other spots. But 10 days is a long stay without any car rides.

Dhaka City...
9 posts
8. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

I am too visiting LA with my mom next month for 12 days and I'm a bit confuse about picking up a right hotel for us we are just two females traveling. I am thinking of reserving Sheraton Grand for the metro station, but the hotel seems a bit price as it doesnt include breakfast and wifi

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,734 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

I wouldn't stay in downtown LA.

Experts here can advise, but there are some really unsavory areas of downtown. There are some better areas too, but as a tourist it could be easy to get turned around. We went down there on purpose with our friends who are life long Angelenos to go to The Last Bookstore. It's a really cool bookstore and surrounded by a large homeless population that was fairly boisterous. They were jamming out to Gil Scott Heron around our rental car.

That said, Little Tokyo is just a little bit away and it's pretty fun.

We had a rental car and stayed up in Laurel Canyon and that worked well for us, but sounds like you might be better off near The Grove or Santa Monica or somewhere like that. Lots of folks seem to Uber in LA. Maybe that would work. Not sure of the child seat issue.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
118 reviews
10. Re: Downtown hotel recommendation .

The Biltmore does have an indoor pool and is across the street from Pershing Square where they have had ice skating in winters past (not sure if they still do it there though).

Reply to: Downtown hotel recommendation .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted