We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary for LA

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
My itinerary for LA

Hello,

I posted this on the general forum but was told by a poster that it'd be better to post specifically on the LA forum.

I will be visiting LA for the first time next month and was wondering if my itinerary looked alright:

Day 1:

I will be getting in to LA late at night so really won't be able to do any sightseeing but would not mind hitting up a lounge/bar maybe or just checking out Santa Monica Pier (I am currently looking for a hotel to stay in the Santa Monica area)

Day 2:

I plan to do all the touristy stuff

Rodeo Drive

Hollywood Sign

Hollywood Walk of Fame

Universal Studios

or maybe I should just do a tour? Haven't decided yet

Day 3:

Griffith Observatory

Venice Beach

Day 4:

I had originally hoped to go to Yosemite Park, Catalina Island or San Diego on my last day for a day trip but I've been told that those are not realistic choices for a day trip as they are too far.

A poster suggested I take a day trip to Malibu or Laguna Beach. I think those seems like great options but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

7 replies to this topic
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: My itinerary for LA

Did you see my response to your other thread?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
2. Re: My itinerary for LA

Yes, I replied in the thread

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
3. Re: My itinerary for LA

You need to look at a map and know that 20 miles in LA can be a 2 hour drive not 20 minutes.

This is what I suggest

DAY 1

Santa Monica Promenade

Day 2 beaches

Venice, Santa Monica Pier, Malibu

Day 3

Universal Studios Tour- that will be an all day thing.

Dinner/ walk on Hollywood Blvd

If you have time Griffith Park is near there.

Day 4

See Los Angeles!

It's so much more than the tourist things you mentioned.

Go check out Downtown LA, the Last Bookstore, The Broad Museum, go to Echo Park,

go to Griffith Park, Olvera Street, Chinatown, Pasadena has enough to do for a whole day too-

the Norton Simon, The Huntington Gardens, there is so much here..

And yes- you cannot go to Yosemite or Catalina in a day.

I also suggest renting a car. It will be faster and cheaper than uber or the metro.

Upper Darby...
Level Contributor
249 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: My itinerary for LA

Faraway: You'll love Santa Monica. I stayed there for my 21st birthday back in 1978. I also went there during my previous visits in 1981, 1983, and 2015. In fact, no visit to L.A. is complete without going to Santa Monica! It's my very favorite vacation spot and beach resort! Have a nice trip there to L.A.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
5. Re: My itinerary for LA

Thank you both very much for your advice/tips! This is extremely helpful.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: My itinerary for LA

I think you could still do Day 2 the way you planned it. I like how you broke it up into sections and Universal is not only open fairly late, it's easily accessible by subway from Hollywood/Highland OR just go up and pay the parking - there's always parking somewhere at Universal. Universal City walk is a great way to end the way - and by the time you leave, traffic toward SM won't be that bad.

Rodeo Drive first is a good idea. I usually park underneath Barney's and buy something there to make it free (it's free, I think, for the first hour anyway). There's inexpensive stuff to buy on their first floor as you walk back from crossing Wilshire and see the tourist part of Rodeo Drive (Louis Vuitton and the little...passage...across from it, you'll see it).

Then drive down Sunset to see the California architecture and maybe stop Guitar Center if you like music (it has its own little Walk of Fame thing). It doesn't take long to see the real Walk of Fame (unless you are obsessed with a bunch of particular stars) and Graumann's. The only other thing I think is worthwhile in Hollywood (besides going up to the terrace at Hollywood/Highland to see the elephants and the Hollywood sign) is The Hollywood Museum (not a must-see, but check it out online and see if you want to do it).

By then, it'll be lunchtime (so go over to Citywalk, park and do lunch, then decide whether you want to do a short stint at Universal Studios - I would spend a few hours) then dinner at Citywalk or in the amusement park and back home!

For your Malibu day, research some of the threads here to get some idea of what to do. It's quite beautiful (especially near its northern end). The views from Pepperdine are quite nice. Leo Carrillo and Mugu Rock are scenic (my favorite local beach, Leo is). Mugu Rock is just a drive by or a brief stop, but it's very scenic coming back (and there's hiking in various places, and you can walk along the beach for almost as long as you want, it's very pretty, way prettier than Catalina Island, IMO).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
7. Re: My itinerary for LA

Excellent! Thanks so much

I definitely want to check out "less touristy" things as well so this is very helpful.

Reply to: My itinerary for LA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted