We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!

My partner and I are looking to go to LA for 12 nights at the end of April 2019. My partner will be 24 and I will be 23, so sadly we cannot hire a car because the insurance is too expensive. I’ve seen a nice hotel within our budget at the Hyatt Regency.

I want to know is LA practical without a car? Is it doable?

The things we would like to do are:

Disneyland

Universal Studios

Hollywood signs

The beaches

And other typical tourist things.

What’s the public transport like? Are Uber’s cheap? Or is it just impossible to do LA without a car?

4 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!

Also the walk of fame

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
1 review
2. Re: LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!

Disneyland is not in LA, but in Anaheim, in Orange County, about a 45 minute drive south of LA. You can check Uber estimate, it is showing oneway from the Hyatt Regency to Disneyland costing just under $50 not including tip. Or you could rent a car for one day to visit Disneyland.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,688 posts
262 reviews
3. Re: LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!

Yes, you can do this without a car, be sure to have Lyft or Uber on your device for some rides. Hollywood is a good base, but with all that time, consider Hollywood and Santa Monica split, it's nice to experience a different area of this big city.

To get to the Disney parks, use Lyft or Uber and plan to spend the entire day/night. Or get a 2 day pass and do the parks one day, local sightseeing the next, the park another day that week, there are lots of ways to enjoy and it's about a 45 minute commute via vehicle.

You can plan trips further afield, too. Amtrak train to either (or both) San Diego and Santa Barbara, if that feels too expensive, Flixbus goes to San Diego from Santa Monica, it's a new bus service, so not a lot of reviews yet.

https:/…santa-monica-ca

You can get to Las Vegas from LA via the above or fly via Southwest Airlines, very inexpensively, from there, visit the Grand Canyon via a tour.

An overnight on Catalina Island could be a lot of fun, take the ferry from Long Beach or San Pedro, both in LA (although a bit far, you'd use Lyft or Uber).

Take a look at our top questions, the first two forum posts, pretty helpful for the first time visitor.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!

Hi, charl_cxx

Welcome to the Forum. Which Hyatt Regency are you referring to? The one in the Century City area? I would not recommend staying there as it is not conveniently-located to the attractions you've listed and public transit in this district is not that great. The area bans parking and the only retail and dining (with a couple of exceptions) is in the massive Westfield Century City Mall -- a bit of a hike from the hotel. If you want to stay somewhere where you can walk to shops and area restaurants (and maybe some attractions), stay elsewhere.

What is your nightly budget for a hotel? The Century Plaza is a 5-star hotel and expensive. I'm puzzled by your hesitation to hire a car because of the expensive insurance but lack of hesitation at staying at one of the most expensive hotels in the metro area.

As an example, a mid-size/intermediate sized car booked for 12 days with Sixt through rentalcars.com will cost approx $557 for a period of at the end of April 2019, assuming the drivers are 25 years old or older. For younger drivers, the cost is $644 -- a premium of $87 or just $7/day! So, if you can afford the Hyatt, you can probably afford $7/day.

I would recommend staying somewhere that is near metro rail and/or Metro RAPID buses.

You've mentioned the following attractions:

Disneyland

Universal Studios

Hollywood sign

Walk of Fame

The beaches

How many days do you plan to spend at each of these? You have 12 days to fill up. If you plan on spending more than one day at the Disney Resort, it's recommended that you stay overnight in the city of Anaheim so you can be at the Park when it opens without having to make a long transfer at the beginning (and end) of the day.

Universal takes less than a day, imo (6 or 7 hours is plenty). You can add the Walk of Fame on the same day and, in fact, you can see the Hollywood sign from the rear terrace of the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall in central Hollywood (as well as from dozens of other places) so you can conquer three of the 5 destinations in just one day.

For the beaches, Santa Monica / Venice take a day to see. If you want to visit outlying beach areas like Malibu or beaches in neighboring Orange County (where Disneyland is), that will take more time.

In order to decide on a place(s) to stay, you need to firm up your itinerary. You're doing things backwards: pick your hotel by selecting a district in which to stay that is convenient to your final itinerary.

Reply to: LA without a car? Where’s best to stay? Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted