We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in July - Need some advice

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in July - Need some advice

Me, my husband and our 14 yr old daughter will be in Los Angeles (West Hollywood) in July for 4 days. Of course I have a list a mile long of things everyone wants to do. My daughter, like most 14 yr old girls, is into fashion and seeing the beach. My husband and I are just happy to be away from work for a awhile. I have a few questions: 1. Is it okay for us to take a child to Venice or Santa Monica boardwalks in the evening. We're no prudes, but I don't want anything so over the top my daughter will be embarrased. 2. Getty museum or villa, which would we all enjoy? 3. Has anyone been to the Grammy Musuem? 4. We are only here for 4 full days, what is a must to see?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in July - Need some advice

Start with our FAQs at the top of the LA forums, especially What to Do.

Venice is fine, but go during the late afternoon, not at night (because it's a daytime place). Santa Monica Promenade is great at night, as is Main Street, but also better during the day.

Getty Museum Brentwood is well worth a visit, if only for the views.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in July - Need some advice

Santa Monica and Venice are both great fun during the day or early evening.. No worries for a 14 year old. I was amazed at the Getty Villa, but the Getty Museum is over the top. I would definitely recommend. I would take part of your time in LA to truly enjoy the city. Walk the blocks, have lunch at a local cafe, see a good film at the Arclight. It's a wonderful city. The people are very friendly, enjoy your link to their lives in your travels.

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in July - Need some advice

Agree with yogachik. Venice in the late morning/early afternoon & Santa Monica Promenade for late afternoon/early evening.

If I could only go to one, I would choose the Getty Museum. Both are fabulous, but the Museum has a broader collection and is just amazing.

The Fashion Institute of Design & Marketing sometimes has very interesting fashion exhibits that your daughter might enjoy also, if you're near downtown.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in July - Need some advice

Your family will enjoy Santa Monica beach and The Promenade in the early evening. Venice is fine for a day visit. Getty Museum is great.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in July - Need some advice

Thanks everybody - as usual, you come through!

6. Re: 4 days in July - Need some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 19:16