We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

really struggling to work out where to stay

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
really struggling to work out where to stay

first visit to LA was last december but looking to go again in October time. Only wanting to do 3 nights but am finding it hard on working out where to stay.

stayed at hilton universal city last time but not planning on doing universal this time so don't want to be up there this time and was only do 2 nights so price was ok. was looking at hollywood blvd but apart from probably half a day if that i don't plan to be around this area much (plus wouldn't really like to be in with all the hustle and bustle)

Want to do some shopping prob beverly center/rodeo drive again - not been to the grove/farmers market and melrose so will go there this time and want a day at santa monica and to do the warner bros tour.

looked at HI walk of fame but looks a little out of the way - is it? Don't like the look of the orchid, looked at the standard but looks very standard, roosevelt-v.pricey, magic castle - ok but pricey(?), beverly hilton-pricey, wiltshire-pricey.

Are we being to stingy and tight with our money or are we just looking in the wrong places? I'm trying to think of places we passed/saw last time and what was where - east of beverly centre is a blur to be honest - is there anything around there?

We won't be hiring a car and will rely on public transport (again :) - will be coming in from vegas to burbank (again) too.

thanks in advance

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,552 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

Look into the Sofitel Hotel which might be a good compromise in what you are looking for, it might be more on the pricy side but we had people on here that got it on priceline fairly cheap(i think yogachick can help with that more then I can)

It is centrally located in regards of public transportation, not perfect, but you should be fine

Nother option would be Farmers Daughter which is right by the Grove/Farmers Market

If we would know your budget, we probably would be able to get you some better advice. In regards of public transportation, any of the touristy spots like Downtown L.A./Hollywood/West Hollywood/Santa Monica will be fine to base yourself at in regards of getting around

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,237 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

Definitely concentrate your hotel search in West Hollywood.

Try using hotwire.com and bid on a 4* in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area and you'll likely get something around $130ish/night in a great area, for a top hotel. Sofitel is what's been coming up (biddingfortravel.com).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,237 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

Try using hotwire.com and bid on a 4* in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area and you'll likely get something around $130ish/night in a great area, for a top hotel. Sofitel is what's been coming up (biddingfortravel.com).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,237 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

I agree to check out Farmer's Daughter near the Farmer's Market/The Grove. This is my favorite area to stay in LA and although I have not stayed at this hotel, I've heard good things about it. From here, you can not only walk to Farmer's Market/The Grove, but also to the LA County Art Museum and La Brea Tar Pits.

You're also close to lots of restaurants including Canter's Deli for a typical Jewish Deli experience.

Walking to the Farmer's Market for breakfast is a real treat.

I can totally understand your not wanting to drive, but I would suggest renting a car - it's still really the best way to get around LA and it's not nearly as daunting as it might seem. :-)

Enjoy your visit!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

Not sure of your budget but you might like The Chamberlain. Or maybe a B&B. Check out public transport before you book.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,378 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

West Hollywood is a central area considering your sites but keep in mind that Warner Bros will be a little bit of a ride (and two buses) and Santa Monica will be a bit of a ride (and 2 buses) so no matter where you stay, you'll have at least 2 trips that will take some time.

Hotwire.com is showing a "4-1/2 star in Beverly Hils - West Hollywood for around $160 -- that is, most probably, the Sofitel -- an excellent choice for you at an excellent price.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

i'm very interested in this hotwire site - i've heard of it but never used it or anything - are the rates non/refundable?

Looked at the chamberlain - v.nice hotel, as with the farmers daughter but i wouldn't like to pay that much for somewhere so nice but what i'm hardly going to be in. I've just looked at the quality inn and for 3n thats coming out at $372 ($109pn) which is what i'm looking at probably spending. That said, I don't mind spending a little bit more if i can get a better/nicer one - but probably a max of $150 though.

To be honest if i can find somewhere handy on a bus route then we will happily use public transport - however i wouldn't rule out hiring a car altogether even if just for a day or 2/to get to the beach.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

another place i've just found that looks ok is the beverly tower - $475..this would prob be my max.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: really struggling to work out where to stay

just seen hollywood celebrity hotel too - ok priced.

QI or hollywood celebrity - which one would you choose? not saying this is decision made but just want your views.