We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX for 3 hour layover...

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
LAX for 3 hour layover...

Friends of mine will have approx 3 hr layover beginning around 9pm. I'm not familiar with the LAX area, and they have never been to L.A. Here's the silly question...where to go in roughly 2-2.5 hrs. What quick sites can I drive by and have them back in time to go back thru security? Thanks in advance!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

Is it 3 hours including the 2 they have to be there to check in? Do they have a 5 hour layover? What time do they land, what time do they fly out, and are any flights international? What time of day (have to consider traffic)?

3 hours is no time to do anything -- nothing at all, except maybe get a burger at the nearby In n Out and visit.

You might be able to take them to the beach, to Manhattan Beach or to Venice Beach or Marina del Rey.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

they arrive at 8:45pm, to leave again at 11:45pm. I know that the chances of anything really being open for them to see would be slim. It's a domestic flight. In your opinion, would Santa Monica Pier be do-able?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

If they land at 8:45, it could take 15 to 30 minutes until they've actually exited the terminal since it takes time to empty a jumbo jet (if that's what they're on) and it takes time to walk from the gate to the street. Of course, if the plane is late in arriving or if there is a temporary shortage of empty gates (which happens, from time to time), they'll be even later when it comes to emerging from the terminal. (I assume that their luggage is being transferred to their onward flight. If not, they'll have to wait for it in baggage claim).

So, if they get to your car by, say 9:15 and you have to be back at LAX by 10:45 (the latest!) to go through security for the onward flight, that leaves exactly 90 minutes to spend together. Since it would take 20 minutes or so, each way to get to Santa Monica (let's say 45 minutes, round trip) that leave 45 minutes to actually spend in Santa Monica (and that includes the time it will take to find a parking space -- on the street (unlikely) or in a lot or parking structure and to walk and from that parking space to the pier/ So, that's maybe 30 minutes AT THE PIER. Is it worth it?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

For the reasons HSJ states above, you don't have time to go to Santa Monica.

My experience is that people get to the curb for pickup about 30 minutes after landing.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

So where exactly is that In-N-Out? lol.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

...or at least a decent restaurant to have a quick visit, with enough time to drop them both off at curbside.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

If you are in a hurry, you can drive about 2 1/2 miles down La Tijera out of LAX to have a bite to eat at Pann's Restaurant. It opened in 1958 by the Panagopoulous family in the "Googie" style architecture of the 50s Coffee Shops. Pulp Fiction and Bewitched were filmed there.

http://www.panns.com/

yelp.com/biz_photos/PFi2KCQzPNqWMdw8HXcdAA…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

Hop a cab to...

1) the Custom Hotel (you can actually see the Custom from the runway), and check out the Hopscotch Bar (trendy trendy).

Or

2) the In&Out Burger on Sepulveda or the L&L Hawaiian BBQ in El Segungo at Imperial&Main, for traditional LA Fast Food. You can watch the planes land.

Or

3) hop a cab to Manhattan Beach and walk down to the pier there, get a drink.

Or

4) hop a cab to Manchester in Westchester -- Truxton's (American), Ayara (Thai), Paco's Tacos or El Tarrasco (Mexican) are good bets.

Enjoy your little break from the airport! Don't bother trying to rush to Santa Monica and back. You'll have a better time having a little slice of Cali nearby.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

OH! I also forgot

Randy's Donuts at the 405. Within a short cab ride. Legendary Homer Simpson sort of eats.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,166 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX for 3 hour layover...

I agree with HSJ they are better off staying in the airport and get a bite to eat,not worth leaving the airport too short of time it will be less than 3 hours they will have.