We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two days one night at LA

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
two days one night at LA

We are concerned about the traffic situation in LA highlighted in all travel books. Before departing from LAX at about midnight (weekday) we would like to spend about one night in LA visit:ing santa monica Pier, the ocean front walk at Venice, third street promenade, hope to drive along santa monica Blvd, to BH (rodeo drive), sunset Blvd the strip and either the farners market and the grove or grand central market at down town.

1. where should we stay for that one night? No specific budget, rather which area more convenient and less time in the car? We are driving down from SF, probably would have spent 2 nights at Monterey and a night at solvang/ santa barbara.

2. what is the difference between the farmers market and the grand central market, which one is better and easier to get to, easier to park if we only have time for one?

3. Is it better to visit santa monica in the morning or afternoon?

4. How long will it takes to go from Hollywood area to santa monica? When are the rush hours?

Thanks.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two days one night at LA

Santa Monica would be the most convinient place for what you are looking for as it is close to LAX and you have the pier, third street promenade right there and Venice Beach next door.

You can also easily take the drive from there to Beverly Hills and Sunset/West Hollywoood

Of course hotels in Santa Monica tend to be rather pricy. Of course the question would be if it is worth to spent $$$ on a hotel if you are only going to be there to sleep

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two days one night at LA

What time of year will you be here? Santa Monica will be better in the afternoon during May and June, since there are often "May Gray / June Gloom" conditions - clouds near the coast that don't burn off until late morning or even mid afternoon. Otherwise it won't make a big difference when you go but just avoid real early in the morning as coastal clouds are often present early morning year round.

Between Grand Central Market and Farmer's Market, I'd go with Farmer's Market. Grand Central Market, despite its name, is not as central - its located in downtown LA which is to the east of city center and to the east of everything else you've mentioned. Downtown LA is also difficult to get into and out of during rush hours, and parking there is not cheap. Both are mainly food stalls. Farmer's Market is adjacent to The Grove, which is a nice outdoor mall.

Rush hours are worst between 7-9:30AM and from 4-7PM on weekdays. I'd give 30-40 minutes between Hollywood and SM during more normal traffic conditions. Longer during rush hour.

As to where to stay, it would depend on your budget, but Westwood comes to mind. Near the freeway so it won't be difficult to reach when you drive down to LA, and somewhat in the middle of the areas that you've mentioned, not too far from any of them.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two days one night at LA

Los Angeles is extremely spread out and packed with traffic. Do yourself a favor: Take a night from Monterey and add it to Los Angeles. You'll thank me.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two days one night at LA

Definitely skip Grand Central Market and head to the Farmer's Market/The Grove. I say this as someone who loves downtown and actually used to live above Grand Central Market. However, the Grand Central is not doing well for a variety of reasons (awful management being the biggest problem). It used to have this vitality. But, now it is just drifting away. So is its customer base.

I have a hunch, it would be a big let down for you. You're probably looking for a particular L.A. Grand Central, however, much I love it, ain't what you're looking for.

HTH

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: two days one night at LA

Thank you very much all of you. In particular the rush hour information, in my country, lunch hour is rush hour but 4pm is certainly quite a good to drive, not busy till about 6 to 8pm.

so we will stay at Anaheim for disney, then stay two nights at the end of the trip somewhere at west hollywood area, am looking at the Elan hotel, Farmers' daughter and beverley laurel.

6. Re: two days one night at LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 00:18