We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

We are renting either a SUV or mini passenger van to fit 7 people and alot of baggage. We are hiring from LA and driving it to South Lake Tahoe. On the 5th January. Hertz allows you to drive your car there but do not provide snow chains at any LA locations. Cant find any other car hire places that have the snow chains. So really stuck. We will not be able to go unless we have snow tyres or chains. Does anyone have any suggestions. thanks

Mentioned in this post
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
351 Reviews
from US$84.00*
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
123 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
Los Angeles and Hollywood Day Trip...
95 Reviews
from US$198.99*
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,594 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

That's because it is against their rules and regulations to allow snow chains on rental vehicles. You won't find any company that will allow it, and if you buy them and do it yourself, you are in for a very large penalty fee.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

You have some very bad info.

Most of the time you can drive to Tahoe without snow tires or chains,. Very rarely you will need them. If it is a storm that drops enough snow requiring them you just do one of two things. Wait out the storm or buy chains at any auto parts store. Only a few miles of the drive from LA to Tahoe even gets any snow. Dont worry about it.

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

But we are driving there January 5th. Snow season. We will be actually drving in the snow once we get to our rental home at south lake tahoe just near a ski village. And also we are staying over the night in Yosemite national park and apparently they can do checks to make sure you have snow chains. If you dont you are turned away.

I did mention to Hertz that i need snow chains and she just said if they are on and we damage the car we are not covered for it. She never mentioned about fines etc.I just think its crazy that rental cars cant have snow chains. What are holiday makers supposed to do when they rent cars in snow areas.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

if there is no snow on the road you dont need chains. Unless it has just snowed or is a huge storm lingering around the snow is removed from the roads quickly because either they plow it or it doesnt stick and you dont need chains.

There is a much better chance the roads will be clear than you needing to put chains on you vehicle.

You dont need to worry about it unless when you are there a storm is dropping snow and if that is the case you worry about it then by either waiing out the storm or buying chains, certainly nothing to worry about until you are there and then figure it out. Like I said above chances are much better that you wont need to do anything.

Edited: 06 November 2010, 01:31
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,594 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

It is highly likely you will need AT LEAST a 4WD rental SUV.

It is true, however, that you can buy chains at any major auto store, and at many gas stations along the route. And it is also true that you will be required to show your chains at check points, if it is snowing. It is also true that if you damage the rental car you will have to pay for it, there is no coverage for chain damage.

We are talking about weather here. There's no way to predict it. But I highly recommend booking flights to Reno from LA or Burbank, rather than make this drive.

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Burbank
Burbank
California
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,530 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

We fly to Reno every Jan/Feb from LAX for a skiing trip. Always rent a 4WD SUV from the airport there, to drive over to Tahoe, and encounter snow. Rental agencies do not allow you to put chains on their cars.

Even when we drive our own vehicle into Yosemite in the winter with no snow on the ground, you have to show snow chains before you enter the park. Pep Boys is an auto parts store all over the southern CA where you can check prices for them.

Mentioned in this post
Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

Yes I looked into buying chains from kmart and pep boys. There seems to be so many types so once we have the car we will go buy some I guess.

CAnative do you usually fit your snow chains on your rental when you visit Tahoe every year or do you usually just keep them in the back to keep the authorities happy?

When I wanted to book the SUV I asked if the tyre were all weather tyres and they said they cant guarentee it but they can try and request them. This was Hertz.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,530 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

It's true, Hertz from LA can't guarantee that you will have all weather tires or 4WD to drive to Tahoe, the way the Reno airport has those cars on hand. They know people will be driving in the mountains. It was my understanding that Hertz prohibited chains on their rentals.

Yes, chains have to be fitted to the type of car you own, or there will be damage to the car.

We don't have our own fitted chains with us when in Tahoe. The SUV we rent in Reno has the 4WD to get us through the snow. It's only Yosemite that you have to show chains to get inside the park.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

If you search the Hertz website for "chains" you will see that snow chains are not allowed on Hertz vehicles. You might phone the Tahoe location of Hertz to see what they say since I'm sure they've dealt with thies problem many times.

7 people and lots of luggage don't fit very well into a van or SUV anyway, so your problem may be even worse than you think.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to hire or buy snow chains in LAfor a car rental?

It has been reported that Dollar and Fox car rental both allow chains to be installed on their vehicles. I was told that at some cities Dollar even rented chains at the rental office.

The rental places at LA do not have much in the way of snow vehicles, as it is not needed in that area.

If you rent an SUV, that does not mean it is ready to go for the snow. They make 2 wheel drive vehicles SUV's. You need a 4 WD SUV. If it is a 4 WD rental vehicle, it will come with the snow tires.

You may luck out and not need chains or the 4 WD, but you really should plan for this. In Yosemite if they have chain controls and you have a 4WD with snow tires, you still must be carrying chains. I have never been asked to show them, but I got turned around one time when I confessed I was not carrying chains. When driving in chain controls outside of Yosemite, they just wave me through when they see I have 4 WD and snow tires.

I know there are places where you can purchase snow chains, and if you do not use them they can be returned for a full refund. Pep Boys? WalMart? If you wait until you get to near where the chain controls are located, you can buy chains, but at a huge premium price, and no return type policys. Also, they may not have the correct ones for your tires, and then you are really stuck.

I hope some of this helps. Also, I never thought I would post on the LA site!

Mentioned in this post