We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas lights to see first week of January??

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Christmas lights to see first week of January??

Hello so excited to be in LA on the 31st Dec till 5 January. Have experienced 3 Christmas times in America so far and love the way you all go all out with the decorations and lights. It's just magical.

This trip we are arriving just after Christmas and I have my 2 and 3 year old with me and would love for them to experience the whole atmosphere in the USA in the holiday season.

Was planning on taking them to the mission inn at Riverside becuase it looks so gorgeous and found out it's still running till the 2nd. But just found out it's an hour drive. We are staying in Studio City. Dont want to drive out of town for one hour at night with little kids.

To the point now... Can anyone tell me a place to see beautiful Christmas lights still up beg January that is in the LA area. Not more than 30 minute drive from Studio city. Cant wait!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,035 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

I'd suggest heading to the Americana At Brand mall in Glendale, which won't be too far a drive from Studio City.

americanaatbrand.com/glendale/…

They are supposed to have a 100ft Christmas tree this year. I assume it will still be there at the start of January but can't guarantee as cannot find a schedule online for it.

A little closer (but might be a slower drive since can't really be done on the freeways) is The Americana's sister mall, The Grove, which always has great xmas decorations. Same deal about when the decorations might be coming down, I cannot say.

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

Thanks for that. I have been to the grove before and have heard about the american at brand mall and I am definetly planing on going there. It looks great for shoipping. I hope they still have the christmas tree and lights up. Thanks for trying to look into it for me.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

About 25 miles back track to LAX area, is Candy Cane Lane in the city of El Segundo. We've been going there for years, as it's very child friendly. No waiting for long periods of time in the car to move up the block. Park your car in the neighboring streets, and walk on the side walk with your strollers. Every neighbor decorates in the 1200 block of East Acacia Ave, and many of the homes in the surrounding streets. Santa will be there until Christmas.

http://www.pbase.com/jpcarson/candy_cane_lane

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

Thank you so much CA native. This is the sort of thing i was looking for. Could not see on the link you gave me when all the houses keep the lights up. Do you happen to know? Not sure how far 25 miles are but I will google it. We are staying in Studio City. We dont arrive in LA till the 31st Dec and leave on the 5th January. So hope they are still all up then.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

There is no rule when the homeowners take their lights and decorations down, but people usually do it a week or two after Christmas. It usually takes more than a day to pack everything away. You can tell by the photos they cover their whole front yard with lights. I'd imagine some would start after the New Year, maybe Sunday, Jan. 2nd.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

Closer than El Segundo are 3 different settings for Christmas Lights, in Pasadena and Altadena:

1. Christmas Tree Lane (Santa Rosa Avenue) in Altadena. One mile of huge pine trees lit up with lights

2. The Balian mansion in Altadena (Corner of Allen and Mendocino)

3. Hastings Ranch neighborhood of Pasadena. (The streets and houses are all decked out, with some of the streets having "themes".)

These are all about 30 minutes from Studio City and are all close to each other. To get there from Studio City, take the 101 fwy east; it will turn into the 134 east towards Glendale/Pasdena and will merge with I-210 as you enter Pasadena. Exit at Lake Avenue. Turn left (towards the mountains). About 3 miles up turn left on Woodbury (there's a big gothic stone church on the corner), then right onto Santa Rosa (about 4 blocks). Drive all the way up Christmas Tree Lane until the lights end at Altadena Drive. To get to the Balian mansion:

Turn right on Altadena Drive and go east until you get to Allen. Turn right on Allen and go south about 4 blocks. The first stop sign is Mendocino. Look to your left. You can't miss the house - it has 10,000 lights on it.

To get to Hastings Ranch from the Balian mansion: Go back up to Altadena Drive and keep heading east. The street will curve and take you south. Stay on Altadena Drive to Washington. Go left on Washington and then turn left on Sierra Madre Blvd. (Washington deadends at S.M. Blvd.) Take Sierra Madre a few blocks and you'll start to see, on your left, a bunch of streets all decorated with lights. That's the Hastings Ranch neighborhood. Turn in to any street and wander around. Once you climb the hilly neighborhood in your car you can easily get back to Sierra Madre Blvd. by heading downhill.

Lights are on for sure through New Year's Day. You may run into some street closure on Sierra Madre Blvd on the 31st because this is very close to where the Rose Parade floats are parked for viewing after the parade on teh 1st.

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

wow thanks for sharing all that with me pvmkmyer. Might not be up to it on the 31st or the 1st January. Do you know when they start taking them down.

I will print off all the directions you gave me and take it with me,

Thanks

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

There's the other Candy Cane Lane in Woodland Hills. Take the 101 Fwy. west about 12 miles to Winnetka Ave. Turn right on Winnetka then turn right on the first or second street. The lights are on all the streets in that subdivision.

Additionally, many homeowners in Valley Village decorate their homes.

There's a Valley Village home where the lights are coordinated to music. It's at the corner of either Bellingham and Huston or Bellingham and Morrison, just west of Laurel Canyon. They have a low-level radio transmitter broadcasting the music on an FM frequency so you can tune in your car radio to listen to the music while you watch the lights in the warmth of your car.

9. Re: Christmas lights to see first week of January??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2011, 00:17