We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

high rates new year's eve

New York
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
high rates new year's eve

Can someone explain to me why the rates for Venice and Santa Monica Beach hotels are ridiculous on NYE? Even the lowly Bayside Hotel shows crazy rates of over 300.00 for the 31st and some rooms as high as 600.00. Shirley, this can't be correct! The Cadillac Hotel has a similarly unbelievable rate of 566.00 for that night, for crying out loud. I've spend several NYE in Santa Monica and nothing really happens there, which is why I like it. What's all the fuss now?

Also, if anyone has any experience with the Cadillac, do tell! Reviews I have read are mixed. I'm familiar with the location, so that's not a problem, but I'm wondering if the renovation was really a big improvement, or if staying in the hostel might be better.

Mentioned in this post
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,175 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica State Beach
Santa Monica State Beach
6,169 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Bayside Hotel
Bayside Hotel
587 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Cadillac Hotel
Cadillac Hotel
721 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hostels in Los Angeles
PodShare
PodShare
#2 of 110 Speciality lodging in Los Angeles
USA Hostels Hollywood
USA Hostels Hollywood
#4 of 110 Speciality lodging in Los Angeles
Orange Drive Hostel
Orange Drive Hostel
#7 of 110 Speciality lodging in Los Angeles
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
6,310 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: high rates new year's eve

This is the PEAK season for hotels in the LA area - there are 5 reasons:

1) Los Angeles area is a very popular place to go for the holidays.

2) There are millions of visitors that flood the area due to the Rose Bowl, Rose Parade, Disneyland, etc.

3) The weather is 70 degrees many holidays which causes the snow birds from the other states to come out in droves.

4) All the hotels know this - and raise their rates - and if you did not book 4 months ago, its harder and harder to find a place a place for a reasonable price.

5) New Years Eve premium in Los Angeles area is 2 to 3 times that of a normal night in a pricey area such as Santa Monica. Locals go to the hotel for the night for a night out and the hotels know it and their hotel prices and dinners are outrageously priced - but people pay, so they charge. Its simply a law of supply and demand.

Since you have a back up place to stay already - that's good. I've found that unless you book 3 to 4 months in advance for New Years you end up struggling iwth the 5. Happy New Year.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
The Rose Hotel
The Rose Hotel
173 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rose Parade
Rose Parade
113 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: high rates new year's eve

Hotel Hermosa is not located on the Strand. We've stayed there a couple times, and the view of the bay, from PCH/Sepulveda Blvd. is really nice. I'd say it's just under a mile walk or ride down Gould Ave to the ocean. Good price though.

http://www.hotelhermosa.com/

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
242 Reviews
Hermosa Beach, CA
Sepulveda Motel
Sepulveda Motel
0 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
New York
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: high rates new year's eve

supply and demand. yup. I guess I was just lucky in years past so I never really noticed how high some prices could go.

thanks everyone for your help.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: high rates new year's eve

The prices is years past was probably directly related to the poor economy. The economy is showing sings of improvement and travel is on the rise, so are hotel prices.

15. Re: high rates new year's eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2011, 00:20