We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

madison,wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

We are staying in LA at the embassy suites and am looking for ideas for things to do in the area before our 4 day cruise out of Long Beach We are a couple in our mid twentys and my in laws that are 40 We want to see attractions and eat good food. We are not into art or music. All ideas would be great. i need your help

thanks matt

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

Embassy Suites where?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

And for two days stay, a car would be a lot cheaper than a taxi to the Cruise terminal, and would give you more freedom to see and do things.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your hotel is one of the two Embassy Suites near LAX. No matter which location it is, you'll need a car since none of the Embassy Suites are near attractions in L.A. The 2 LAX locations are near some of the beach communities but keep in mind that February is still winter in L.A. so while it will be ALOT warmer than home, it still won't be 'beach weather'.

Our attractions are extremely spread out so you might want to get a travel guide for Los Angeles (you can often borrow one at your local library). I like the DK Eyewitness Guide (google it for a list of 'top 10 attractions in L.A.) because they have great maps and photos and you can fit the guide in your back pocket or purse.

Consider going on a whale watching tour. The grays should be heading north around the time of your visit. You can also spend a day (and night) on Catalina Island (a 60 to 90 minute boat ride from various ports in the L.A. area). Catalina offers lots of things to explore (google it).

You can go hiking in Temescal Canyon, horseback riding in Griffith Park, visit the Natural History Museum or the Griffith Observatory (see a planetarium show, while you're there).

L.A. is the second largest city in the U.S. and there are literally 100s of attractions and thousands of restaurants. Tell us more about your interests and we'll offer more suggestions.

You might take a look at the city's tourism website, DiscoverLosAngeles.com for ideas but first tell us which Embassy Suites and if you can cancel the reservation and also whether you're willing to rent a car.

madison,wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
4. Re: need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

We are going to the Catalina islands on the cruise. We are young and just want to see what we can on a medium budget. We like everything except the arts and theaters. I think I will book the whales for sure and might just lounge until after the cruise. We have 2.5 days after the cruise to do more stuff.

Edited: 20 December 2010, 22:55
5. Re: need advice for 2 day stay in LA without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2011, 01:16