We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Feedback!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Feedback!

Thanks to everyone that helped me plan my Son's college visit trip.

We packed in 3 College Visits and 4 Misc tours so we were busy and we already miss that awesome weather after returning to Texas today at 98'.

Really good things: Ritz Carlton LA Live, very nice, did the Club Floor so we didnt spend time finding places to eat. Travel with children you can grab a Banana or water bottle anytime of the day so upgrading to the lounge was very convenient. Very healthy choices of eats as well (cheeses,nuts,yogurts, fruit)

TMZ Tour was a blast, it is a new tour but very funny and worth the money. It is part of the Starline Tours.

Grammy Museum-Right down the street from the Ritz, decent for about 30 minutes, not really my thing but very well done,.

WB Tour-Very nice and thorough, the boys love the Car Museum the best. Very professional and worth the money

Surf Lessons-used I love Surf LA-my son loved his instructor and he spent a good 1.5 hours with him in the Ocean.

Shutters on the Beach-our last 3 nights, very cozy and beautiful. I saw a little bit of snootiness but not much and the rooms with a partial view were fabulous. You can actually bathe or even lay in your bed and still see the ocean. We ate at the Coast several times, the food was reasonable for Shutters :) and you could sit at a table with an open window. Great people watching. The only thing I thought was over the top was when I asked to sit a Shutters chair on the sand by the beach to watch the Surf Lessons, I was told it would cost 30.00 per person to take a folding chair on to the Beach. When you are paying 575.00 a night, really?

We had to try Inn N out Burger and I hate to admit it but we went twice in the 5 days. We had good service at both locations and what a deal, 3 Burgers for 11.00!

We met our TMZ Tour at the Chinese Theater so we had time to browse the touristy things like Walk of Fame and Kodak. I can honestly say we did that in15 minutes and that was enough.

Thanks again and I am so jealous or your weather!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Feedback!

In-n-Out Burger is a classic, nothing fancy, nor expensive. Just great food at a decent price. Love my Double-Double with Extra, Extra Onions with fries and if I am really hungry, a shake. Otherwise a Pink Lemonade.

Glad you had a great time, except for Shutters trying to screw you with upcharges..... One of the reasons I prefer to not to go to those places that want to be "snootiness". Give me a laid back place any day of the week!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Feedback!

I hope someone told you of the "Secret Menu" at In-N-Out before you ordered just a plain hamburger there.

They don't blink an eye when you order anything you want, like a Flying Dutchman. I love the Animal Style cheeseburger, extra crispy fries, and a Neapolitan Shake.

See photos:

www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

Shutters is one of my favorite hotels, just love the ambiance. We stay there for the weekend when we have a Christmas Party or Wedding reception at the hotel and I've never noticed snootiness. Sorry you got stuck paying that kind of money for someone to carry a folding chair out to the edge of the water.

What was your son's impression of the colleges he looked at in CA? Has he decided east coast or west coast?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Feedback!

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you got to do so much.

What colleges did you visit? Is your son interested in any of them?

Thanks for the positive feedback about the TMZ tour. I've been thinking about doing it while my mom is visiting later this month.

I'm guessing your son's surf lesson was in Santa Monica. Was he able to surf by the end of the lesson? Did they provide wetsuits?

Sorry that you experienced some snootiness - did you think the staff at Shutters was that way or just some folks you ran into?

I agree that charging for a beach chair when paying so much is insulting.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Feedback!

Yes, My son actually got up several times while learning. The instructor was really nice .My son thought his name was Hero? He was from Brazil. His lesson was 1.5 and I think they were out in the water around 2 hours. We didn't start until 4:30 so I thought he might end early but was not in a hurry at all. The company had a tent almost directly in front of Shutters on the beach and yes, when I called the company they asked approx size for wetsuit. My son had never surfed before is a Offensive Lineman on his schools football team so I think everyone has a chance at experiencing surfing.

We looked at Pepperdine, USC and Pomona in Claremont. All very different schools and looked at them for different reasons but I think my son will end up at University of Texas in Austin.

You must do the TMZ, we had to book 2 days in advance but it was a very fun 3 hours. Since our tour was on Sunday morning, BH/Hollywood was quiet but the group the day before said they had seen a couple of celeb's.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Feedback!

Since I returned from my vacation everyone has told me I totally missed the whole In- n-out Burger cool thing. Yes, I was the tourist that ordered off the menu :). Since then, I have heard a couple of crazy stories about what you can and cannot order, lol. Anyway, it was a good Burger!

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Feedback!

"We had to try Inn N out Burger and I hate to admit it but we went twice in the 5 days"

I live in S. Oregon, 150 miles to the northernmost In-N-Out in Redding, and have been known to stop there each way on weekend trips to visit my mother in Chico. I am fond of grilled onions on my burger, but went for many years ordering only off the menu.

In LA, though I am rather smitten with Umami Burgers.

Edited: 10 June 2011, 23:35
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Feedback!

Tried Five Guys Burgers last night... Still an In-n-Out Fan!

FYI, Five Guys is good, but In-n-Out is better! And CHEAPER!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Feedback!

Agreed! We have Five Guys and Smash Burger in Texas and I think In-n-Out Is much better!

9. Re: Trip Feedback!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:16