We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner suggestions

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Dinner suggestions

Hi there

I will be celebrating my bday in LA ! Which restaurants would you recommend for dinner? I would like for it not to be too overly priced but still within the buzz of LA (if you know what I mean). Someone recommended The Cheesecake factory at The Grove!

Tnx

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner suggestions

Not the Cheesecake Factory! It's just a chain and not special, very touristy. Where are you staying? Will you have a car? What do you consider overly priced? What kind of food do you want? What part of LA?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner suggestions

Cheesecake Factory is definitely NOT in the buzz of LA.

Places that are in the buzz of LA include Luques, Animal, Son of a Gun, Barbrix Restaurant and Wine Bar, The Lazy Ox Canteen, Off Vine, The Hungry Cat, A-Frame, The Curious Palate, Cha Cha Chicken, Eveleigh, Gjelina, Salt's Cure, Starry Kitchen, The Golden State, The Spice Table, Waterloo and City, Mendocino Farms, The Open Door, The Little Door, Rustic Canyon, Blue Plate Oysterette, Chego, Jitlada, Lukshon and Huckleberry.

Some of these places are very casual, pub and diner like, but still amazing food that has them on the radar of serious food lovers in LA.

If I had to pick one spot it would probably be Luques. A nice mix of atmosphere and great food.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner suggestions

I'm often on the Honolulu forum and have learned from there that folks from Australia and England really like Cheesecake Factory. It is extremely different from their experiences at home. The line outside the CF in Waikiki is extremely long and I'm always in shock to see how popular it is!

So, OP, go - have a great time. You will have plenty of leftovers, too. Yes it is a chain restaurant. If you prefer not to eat at a chain, let us know what type of food your are seeking and we'll try to help.

You can also try yelp.com for restaurant reviews.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner suggestions

>>>So, OP, go - have a great time.<<<

No, don't go. They are so mediocre it is not even funny.

If you want good restaurants in LA that have a buzz, the Cheesecake Factory isn't it.

Go to www.Chowhound.com for Los Angeles and ask about Cheesecake Factory and LA restaurants. I am being kind in comparison.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner suggestions

Hi

It looked like some sort of chain and "cheesy"!!! We are staying in Los Feliz and we do have a car. We are actually coming from San Diego that day! I think I would quite like something that's traditional to the US, coming from South Africa, meat wound be in order, but if it's a place that have a variety, then that's ok! Just not pasta or pizza!!!!!

Budget wise I'm thinking in the range of £25 per head with mains and drink! I just don't want celeb prices!!!!!

I don't mind the area in which it is!!!!

Thanks!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner suggestions

Hi

It looked like some sort of chain and "cheesy"!!! We are staying in Los Feliz and we do have a car. We are actually coming from San Diego that day! I think I would quite like something that's traditional to the US, coming from South Africa, meat wound be in order, but if it's a place that have a variety, then that's ok! Just not pasta or pizza!!!!!

Budget wise I'm thinking in the range of £25 per head with mains and drink! I just don't want celeb prices!!!!!

I don't mind the area in which it is!!!!

Thsnk

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,394 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner suggestions

There's nothing wrong with the Cheesecake Factory except it isn't 'hip'. Some people can't enjoy their meal unless other people tell them that it's cool to be eating there or that the owner of the restaurant is a famous actor. Pity. The fact is: no matter where you go, much of the kitchen staff are made up of illegal aliens who have no background in the culinary arts. I know this because I have several friends that are in restaurant management -- both in the 'snooty places' as well as a at Denny's (an inexpensive national diner). But, I digress...

The Cheesecake Factory is an extremely popular place with both tourists and locals so, that means that it is very much an "L.A. vibe". The one at the Grove is very crowded, however and the fare, while good, isn't 'special'. If you want to have a similar vibe but kick it up a notch, I'd go to Grand Luxe Cafe on the street level of the Beverly Center (owned by the same company as Cheesecake Factory) but in a prettier environment. They have an enormous menu (as does Cheesecake Factory) and offer 'special desserts' (among others) that you order at the beginning of the meal. Don't miss out on one of these.

If, however, you won't be able to enjoy your dinner unless you're dining in a place owned by a Hollywood Celebrity or is on the 'hip list', then try one of the restaurants mentioned above. "Off Vine" is a nice option: cozy 100 year old home converted to a restaurant. Eat on the porch if you go. Their pies (meat and fruit) are extraordinary. "Comfort Food" at its best.

Congrats!

Edited: 09 March 2012, 14:06
San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner suggestions

First it was the SF Forum and now the LA forum -- i guess Cheesecake Factory is the Hot restaurant on TA and even higher up in those suspicious restaurant rankings than SF. Number 42 instead of 80 something. WOW -- Conspiracy theorist may say there is a movement out to get em but the other side may say someone is out to make them shine.

I have to admit the family does like to visit one, once in a while and we dont need to cook that weekend as we can survive on left overs. Buy one meal, eat for the whole weekend should be their slogan.

I would agree you can find a lot of great places to eat in LA and if you want to hear what one online mag has to say -- here is their list of hot places to eat now

…eater.com/archives/2012/03/01/updating_the_…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner suggestions

Probably because of Big Bang Theory - Cheesecake Factory figures in to many episodes.

I would agree with all of Scottca's suggestions. particularly Hungry Cat, Barbrix, A Frame, Gjelina and Little Door.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner suggestions

Cheesecake Factory is a mall restaurant, a chain restaurant, a formula restaurant...you have them in Britain too, and know what they are. Nothing wrong with them for certain purposes. Being old enough to remember the horrendous quality of food in the average "local" coffee shop or diner in small town America, in the days before chain restaurants--and before food got, generally, much better-- I tend to be grateful that Cheesecake Factory and Chili's and even CoCo's etc, exist. (There are a few chains I actually like: Mimi's and California Pizza Kitchen--great salads--but I personally am not at all a fan of Cheesecake Factory.)

You might (or might not) want to stop in for lunch some time on your trip (if you feel like it). Have your special dinner elsewhere.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 15:24