We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandwich place near Union Station

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Sandwich place near Union Station

Taking the 11.10 am train out of Union Station to San Diego on Friday 6 April. We plan to have lunch on the train but prefer to take our own food rather than use the snack car. Any recommendations for sandwich/takeaway places near Union Station?

Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Phillippe's The Original - something like 100 years old, one of two LA area restaurants that claims to have invented the French Dip sandwich, a true LA institution. Only several hundred feet from Union Station - http://www.philippes.com/

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Hello puddletink, and welcome to the Los Angeles forum.

Besides Phillippe's - which is north of Union Station past Cesar Chavez on Alameda Street, there's a Subway sandwich shop right inside Union Station at the ticketing area, along with a couple of other sandwich/takeaway food places next to it. Across from Union Station is Olvera Street, birthplace of the Pueblo de Los Angeles and chock full of shops and Mexican food restaurants. . . sit down and take out. Tacos would be a natural takeout food for the train, if you're open to that.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

There's a sandwich place on the right just a little bit inside of the main entrance to the station. (Not the "Subway shop". I can't remember it's name) There's always a queue and with good reason. The sandwiches are good and well-priced.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,944 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Philippe's The Original is the place to go. You can go to Subway in 1,000 other locations, Philippe's is unique. Love the "lamb double dipped" with cole slaw and a pickle.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
879 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Agree, Phillippe's is a great sandwich place that is close to the Union Station.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Far be it for me to ever discourage anyone from going to Philippe's (I'm there about once a week when my groove is on), in fairness I'd point out the following. Philippe's staple is the French dip sandwich. My experience is these kinds of sanwiches ought to be eaten, if not immediately, very soon after purchase simply because the saturated bread doesn't really hold up too well with the passage of time. That said, their soups and chili are surprisingly good. All the sides -- cole slaw, macaroni salad, potatoe salad -- are good. The rule of thumb with the desserts is if they look good, get 'em. My only caveat is the cookies and the salads are lousy.

Give yourself time at Philippe's. Often times there are lines since it is such a popular place.

HTH

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
183 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Nobody's mentioned this so far, but there is a Famima! inside Union Station. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Famima!, it's also known as Family Mart, and it's a chain of Japanese convenience stores. If you have not tried their steamed bao, you should. Famima also has plenty of snacks (both Japanese and American), bottled beverages, sandwiches and sushi.

The bao are delish, and should travel just as well as a regular sandwich as long as you don't smoosh them.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

Not really relevant to this thread, but that Famima is open 24 hours a day, in case any of you get late night munchies.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandwich place near Union Station

I was thinking exactly what Hitch wrote, soggy bread doesn't sound too good!