We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
79 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Recently looked at reviews for above hotel and they do not look bad, anybody can advise on location, hotel itself etc.? Anybody stay their recently willing to advise??

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,721 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Hello "Hello". I see that you've posted a couple of times regarding hotels in L.A. and each time various contributors have recommended Hollywood to you -- in fact, the same list of hotels in Hollywood. I would recommend following that advise.

The Metro Plaza Hotel is in downtown L.A. which, apart from what you might think, is not in the center of our giant city -- it's at the eastern edge of it. Therefore, Hollywood would be more central for you and there would be more of a 'pedestrian presence' at night in Hollywood than by the Metro Plaza which is on the edge of downtown L.A., adjacent to Chinatown.

Hollywood, on the other hand, is home to Disney's flagship theater, the El Capitan, which shows great 'child friendly' movies, often with live shows and a free, short, organ concert. Also in central Hollywood is the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall and the Chinese Theater. In front of both of these attractions are 'celebrity impersonators' from Marilyn Monroe to Spiderman who will entertain yourself and your kids as well as pose for photos (please tip these folks $2 to $5 if they pose for pics with your family).

Bottom line, Hollywood is the way to go. If you, again, need a list of hotels, let us know. BTW, in your other postings, you rarely responded to submissions made by others. It's helpful if you respond to let us know that you've read the responses and to clarify any confusion.

Good luck!

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
79 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Thanks hopskipjump, still deciding on where to stay and every now and then new hotels are recommended. Hollywood still no1 on list, some hotels hike their prices for events happening in and around Hollywood, just got a new quote on one, so still looking for a good deal in the area you have suggested. I do try to reply to replies and if i missed any recently apologies but i do read all the advice as its been great, thanks again.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,721 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Have you trjed Hotwire.com?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Metro Plaza not bad at all and you will actually be at the center hub of the regional transit system. If you prefer not to drive you can use trains from Union Station to reach Disneyland, San Juan Capistrano for example . Also the Metro Red Line gets you to Hollywood in a few minutes and you can use the Lax flyaway bus. In my opinion downtown is a better choice than Hollywood and there is more to see and do around downtown as well.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Metro Plaza not bad at all and you will actually be at the center hub of the regional transit system. If you prefer not to drive you can use trains from Union Station to reach Disneyland, San Juan Capistrano for example . Also the Metro Red Line gets you to Hollywood in a few minutes and you can use the Lax flyaway bus. In my opinion downtown is a better choice than Hollywood and there is more to see and do around downtown as well.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Metro Plaza Hotel is well located. I can't talk about the rooms, but for a few nights it would be fine. I wouldn't spend a week there.

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
79 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Thanks to all. Getting close to having to make a decision. Downtown might be a option as we are also going to Disney, so worth more exploring options. Will try Hotwire, have not tried them yet.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Couple of years ago, I stayed here for the night. I had an early train to catch. I was also curious.

For less than $100/night (can't remember the exact price), it was fine. The layout of the hotel is somewhat odd and the views from the windows were off-putting or non-existent. (I'm sure those overlooking Union Station were better.) The room was surprisingly spacious, particularlyl the bathroom which was quite long. The styling of the room seemed to evoke a 70's Asian sensibility, which is a nod to the local neighborhood. That said, nothing about the property seemed worn or cheap. Bottom-line: I'd stay again.

I agree with mlgb, downtown has more depth than Hollywood. I think Hollywood appeals most to the younger set looking to go clubbing. Chinatown is certainly more sleepy at night (althought there are a couple of bars). But, Little Tokyo, Bunker Hill, the Historic Core (4th & Main/Spring) and L.A. Live are very close. Also, as noted, Union Station is the hub of the rail system -- Red Line to Hollywood/Universal, Gold Line to Pasadena, Little Tokyo, East L.A., Expo Line to USC/Expo Park & Culver City. But, it really depends on your itinerary.

HTH

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
79 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

Thanks HitchKennedy, we are a family with two young girls travelling around LA/California for 4 weeks, we are def going on to Disneyland for the girls and just want two or three nights in Hollywood to see the touristy things, Walk of Fame etc but want public transport nearby and a safe place to stay. We want to go on Disney from Hollywood using train or bus or both if need be. Thanx again.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro Plaza Hotel???? Yes or No??????

If you're going to spend time at Disneyland, stay there for a couple of days. You can find reasonable accomodations in Anaheim.

You can see all the Hollywood stuff in half a day. The question is it a good base for visting Los Angeles? That depends on what you want to see and do. How old are your daughters? Will you have a car? My hunch is you don't know much about Los Angeles and think it consists fo Hollywood, Beverly Hills and beaches. This is the media cliche. But, there's a lot more of interest in Los Angeles. Read the FAQ's on the right and Things to Do on the left. Before selecting a hotel, you need to have a better sense of what you're interested in.

HTH