We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

Going to Universal Studios and was wanting to cut costs as much as possible with a family of 5. Can you bring a backpack with bottled water and snacks?

Also, I have already purchased tickets online and was thinking maybe I should have purchased FOTL, instead of regular. We are visiting next Wed. Should I pay the difference on the day of to get FOTL?

Also, we are staying at The Orchid Suites, would you suggest riding the red line or just drive our car? Thanks for your help.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

You should be okay bringing in water and snacks. I've never had them ask me to take anything out. They will inspect your backpacks/fannypacks/purses/etc. but just for security purposes. If you are spending the whole day, I don't think you need the FOTL. You will have plenty of time. We have annual passes and when we go, it's on weekends and we have never felt the need to use the FOTL. I doubt it'll be that busy this Wed as the LA public schools are not yet out. I don't think they are full blown into the busy season. I would only splurge on the FOTL if you are in a hurry or really hate to wait. In general, the waits shouldn't be too bad. One piece of advice--go on the Mummy ride early if you are going to go because that is one line that get get really long! Can't comment on the Orchid Suites, not sure where they are. You should be okay with either the subway or the car...you might have to do a bit more walking with the subway, that's about it. I think there is a tram across from the subway station that takes you to just outside the ticketing area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

You should be okay bringing in water and snacks. I've never had them ask me to take anything out. They will inspect your backpacks/fannypacks/purses/etc. but just for security purposes. If you are spending the whole day, I don't think you need the FOTL. You will have plenty of time. We have annual passes and when we go, it's on weekends and we have never felt the need to use the FOTL. I doubt it'll be that busy this Wed as the LA public schools are not yet out. I don't think they are full blown into the busy season. I would only splurge on the FOTL if you are in a hurry or really hate to wait. In general, the waits shouldn't be too bad. One piece of advice--go on the Mummy ride early if you are going to go because that is one line that get get really long! Can't comment on the Orchid Suites, not sure where they are. You should be okay with either the subway or the car...you might have to do a bit more walking with the subway, that's about it. I think there is a tram across from the subway station that takes you to just outside the ticketing area.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
57 reviews
223 helpful votes
3. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

Regarding the Orchid Suites, here are the transport options:

1. Drive (will take 5-10 minutes plus the time it takes to retrieve your car from the hotel's parking garage) and cost $10 or $17 for parking depending on the lot you select. It will take a few minutes (or more) to get to the gates depending on where you park at the studios. Total time: say, 23 minutes all told. Total cost $10 or $17 plus a nominal amount of gasoline (plus, of course, the cost of the rental car and the cost of the garage at the hotel).

2. Ride the red line metro, This will take:

a. Two minute to walk to the metro rail station

b. Two more minutes to take the escalators down and stop and bus the metro rail tickets.

c. An average wait time of 6 minutes for the next train (trains run every 12 minutes).

d. Four minute ride to the Universal stop.

e. One minute to emerge from the station.

f. One minute to cross Lankershim Bl and walk to the free shuttle bus stop.

g. 10-minute average wait for the shuttle.

h. One minute ride up the hill into the park.

Total time: 27 minutes. Total cost: $1.25 per person x 5 = $ 6.25

3. Take a cab. Surprised? Cab will pick you up in front of your hotel. It will drop you at the main entrance (NO WALKING!). It will take about 10 minutes. Cost? About $10 including tip.

I don't know about you but I'd take a taxi. You can always take the taxi to the Park and then, walk down the hill (easy) to the metro rail and take it back to the hotel in the afternoon.

Good luck!

WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

Clarkrus-

I'd be interested in what you find out about the water/food into the park when you go. We will be going this July. We are also staying at the Orchid Suites and are a family of 6. Also interested in what you do for the drive/parking. Thank you!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
350 posts
3 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

You can bring in water but not snacks. You can bring in little stuff, especially if you bought it at citywalk, but if you try to take significant snacks into the park and they see it when they look in your bag you will be directed towards a locker for storage of the items. Been there, done that.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

Just returned from our trip. I want to thank all those who gave wonderful advice. We opted for a cab to Universal and then took the rail back to the room. Yes, I believe we saved time doing this and the difference in price was minimal. We did take in a couple of bottled waters to refill throughout the park and a few bags of chips, nuts etc. Nobody questioned the snacks. We were a little disappointed in Universal Studios. Some of the shows were closed due to "taping". We spent a total of $320 for a day at Universal (family of 5), includes admission and lunch. I wasn't that impressed. Again, thanks for the advice.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?
Save

Hi i arrived home from the orchid suite two days ago, it was ok, we paid $129 + tax for a wednesday and thursday night, they have free underground parking with a 6' 4" hight restriction but we got our chevy trailblazer in with roof bars, they also have a computer to use with free internet access on the second floor. Rooms were huge, but a little tired (need a lick of paint) with table for 4 + a breakfast bar, toaster, full size fridge and cooker, microwave, kettle and cutlery. A pool and laundry facilities. in the mall there, you can visit a tourist info place to get help (very helpfull), ideas for things to do and park tickets, its literaly a 1 minute walk from front door of orchid suite and not even any stairs involved and open till 10pm

Traveling to universal by train is easy but its $1.25 each way so its going to cost you 6 x 1.25 =$7.50 x 2 = $15.00, we took a taxi back one evening because we did not feel safe on the ride in to universal city (drunks and people whispering to each other that clearly were not tourists) and that cost us $15.

drinks and snacks were never a problem

not sure what fotl is but we bought tickets and when we were there we could upgrade them to include the rest of the year for free, all we had to do was visit some place just round from the terminator building where they took our photo and processed are tickets

if kids are young take swimming cossies and sandals/flip flops to get wet (soaked) with, nickolodean was big hit with my two but you need your shoes on to play,

oh!!! the the interactive donkey was a riot

when you get bored of universal go on the warner brothers backlot tour, its not far they will point out warners studio from the universal backlot tour. its a bit more, but the tour is 2 1/2 hours long and seems more genuine than universals, we toured the E.R. set

and got to sit and have our picture taken on the sofa from friends central perk, the only downside is photos can only be taken on part of the tour.

have a blast, Tony PS when i have more time i should tell you the hollywood sign story

8. Re: Can you bring bottled water and snacks into Universal?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 03:17
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.