We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic

exploring the best way to get from Santa Barbara to Montecito.we will be coming in on a cruise ship and have only the day to explore and we think that Montecito is a great place to spend some time.

Transport, is there a shuttle,taxi cost etc

TIA

4 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,320 posts
6,456 reviews
1. Re: transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic

What do you want to do in Montecito?

I would take Uber;

Be sure to get back in time to take the tender boat back to the ship.

They will post all on board times.

Montecito is not the place to go if you want to see Santa Barbara.

California
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
2. Re: transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic

Better to walk to the funk zone from the cruise ship. If in Montecito, recommend taking an Uber/Lyft to Lotusland. Fabulous garden but you MUST call & reserve in advance. No walk-ins.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic

Uber is pretty much your only option. Be aware that Montecito's better restaurants are still closed from the mudslides and the walk to the beach from Montecito's downtown is about a mile, maybe more (and it isn't that easy to find). You'd be standing around in this tiny downtown with a garden center, 4-5 clothing shops, and a handful of restaurants. Montecito is almost entirely housing (up into the foothills and down to the shore). Were you planning on a walking tour of the beach side, hoping to see Oprah's house or something?

I too am curious what you were planning to do in Montecito and whether you've checked TA reviews or Yelp for restaurants, and TA for things to do in Montecito. When polo is in season, people stand around the polo grounds and watch, but I'm not sure you can get into the grounds without being a polo person.

If the tides are right and a beach trip was what you were planning, Butterfly Beach is beautiful and you can walk back to SB (at low tide, not at any other time).

If Lotusland is open and has reservations on your dates ($48 per person) you could uber there. It's technically in Montecito, but you'd need uber again to go to the beach or back to Santa Barbara.

Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic

As of September 24, 2018....all of the Montecito restaurants are open. They actually have been open for months now. I have lived in Montecito since 1984. I agree with others...über is your best bet. Regarding Lotusland, they are not open all year round and you definitely need reservations and tickets. If you want a lesser known option, consider “Casa del Herrero”. Captures SB perfectly. Beautiful grounds and gorgeous estate. You’ll need reservations there as well.

Reply to: transport from cruise ship terminal in santa barbara -montic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montecito