We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

If I leave San Simeon early in the morning on a Wednesday, spend a few hours exploring Camel,Pebble Beach and Monterey, would I have enough time to go to Yeosemite if I have to be in San Francisco by Friday morning?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
54,846 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

I think there's enough time, but you'll be doing some driving.

Wed AM ~ drive San Simeon to Monterey. Lunch, scenic driving, whatever.

Around 5, leave Monterey. Stop for dinner somewhere. Arrive Mariposa 3 1/2 hours later. Stay the night.

Thurs AM ~ drive into Yosemite Valley (about 1+ hr to the Visitor Center.) Ideas ~ Valley Floor Tour (reserve first tour of the day, 2 hours), drive to Glacier Point (1 hr each way), walk up to Vernal Fall or Yosemite Fall, rent bikes.

In the late afternoon, leave Yosemite and head toward San Francisco. It's a 4 hour drive. Plan to stop somewhere along the way, leaving yourself enough time to get into the City in traffic.

Yes, it's a good bit of driving, but you'll see a gorgeous National Park.

You could easily spend Thursday in the Monterey area, enjoying the coastal beauty, and plan another trip to Yosemite in the future.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,862 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

It's a lot of driving in a short time, but as long as you visit Point Lobos State Reserve, which is just south of Carmel, and Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park, you will see the 2 most beautiful places in California.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
818 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

It is a four and a half drive from Monterey to Yosemite village, including a 10 minute stop in Mariposa to buy gas (none available in Yosemite Valley and an extra dollar a gallon in El Portal), We have made this drive probably fifty times, it always takes that long.

Level Contributor
33,936 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

I hope you are able to see Yosemite, it is so awesome! Let us know what you think after you return. Pt. Lobos State Park is also beautiful, in Pebble Beach are you planning on doing the 17 Mile Drive? :)

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

I wouldn't attempt this. It's like trying to enjoy a seven course gourmet meal at a drive-thru. Yeah, if you blow through everything fast enough you can, technically speaking, cover the ground. But you'll spend most of your time on the road and almost none at the places you want to see.

Let's get real. You can't "explore" Carmel, Pebble Beach AND Monterey "in a few hours." The same goes for Yosemite. The best you can do is stop long enough to take a few snapshots just to prove you were there. You aren't likely to make any meaningful memories in such a short time. So what would be the point?

Visit the Monterey Peninsula OR Yosemite, and you'll get more out of the experience.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

Thanks for the advice. You're right. I should leave the Yeosemite for my nex trip. For this trip, I'll spend more time in the Monterey area, doing the 17 Miles drive, visiting the Reserve and so on.

Thanks,

Alwaysask

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,862 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

If the waterfalls are your main reason for visiting Yosemite, the waterfalls are at their best in May and early June (but I would only go on a weekday, for example the week before Memorial Day weekend). There are many other beautiful things to see at Yosemite besides the waterfalls, such as lakes, mountains, forests, rivers, wildlife, views, etc., and those are available all year. Though in the winter, only Yosemite Valley is open.

heaven
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

I want to see everything in Yosemite. When I visit California next time, I'll make it May or June to see the waterfall in Yosemite. This time, I'll concentrate on the coastline.

9. Re: Side trip to Yeosemite Nat. Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 00:18