We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather for first week in January??

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Weather for first week in January??

We're visiting San Francisco for 4 nights and then driving to Monterey for 2 nights (January 3 - 5). Does anybody know what I should expect the weather to be like? All I've seen lately is that it's been raining. We're no strangers to rain - being from South Florida, but I just wanted to get an idea of what we'd be in for. We're staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel - any suggestions for things to do if the weather is wet are greatly appreciated! We're active young adults - love bike riding, hiking, etc.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather for first week in January??

The weather could be rainy, stormy, or clear and sunny. Fog is unlikely.

Generally, when a storm front comes through it may rain for a few hours then clear up. After that we'll have intermittent showers which tend to be fairly brief, under 30 minutes, and often much less.

After a rainstorm this area enjoys beautiful cloud formations which often make for some of the most spectacular sunsets, far more dramatic than anything you'll see in the fair weather months. Also, this time of year the ocean surf is quite dramatic as well, especially near Point Pinos in Pacific Grove and around Carmel Point and adjacent Carmel River Beach. Just keep a safe distance! The waves can be very dangerous!

The aquarium is a good rainy day indoor activity. Or you might enjoy a drive along the shoreline to see what fair-weather tourists never do. You'll be surprised at how many locals like to get out and walk the shoreline in stormy weather, especially at Carmel Point. There's really no experience quite like it.

Afterwards, find a cozy restaurant with a fireplace. Carmel has several.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather for first week in January??

I forgot to mention, temperatures will be in the 50s or 60s during the day, and in the 40s at night. It can feel colder because the damp marine air seems to cut right through you, especially if the winds are from the north.

Temperatures as high as the 70s or as low as the 30s are also possible, but relatively rare.

-Mr. Toy

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather for first week in January??

Thanks!!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather for first week in January??

I just thought of a couple other good indoor activities.

1. Monterey Museum of Art. It is spread among two locations. http://www.montereyart.org/ Colton Hall Museum and City Hall are right across the street from the Pacific Street location.

2. Pacific Grove natural history museum. http://www.pgmuseum.org/

-Mr. Toy

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather for first week in January??

I really appreciate it :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather for first week in January??

I can't add much to Mr. Toy's excellent advice. Unless there's a major storm, you shouldn't be deterred from doing most of your activities. Bring a good hooded rain jacket and shoes with good tread. I think that you can still enjoy Point Lobos (a gorgeous place for easy hikes) in rainy weather. You might get a nice surprise, though. The January before last stays in my memory as one of the sunniest, mildest Januaries we've had in a long time. It could happen again!

Not far from the Monterey Plaza is an Imax theater--a nice diversion on a rainy day. The Plaza has a coffee shop next door (Cafe La Strada), where you can have coffee and pastries and sit by the water on the patio (or sit inside). You can walk from the Plaza to a restaurant on the Coast Guard Pier--Massaro and Santos. Good food and every table has a harbor view, so if it's raining, you can have lunch and enjoy the views of the boats and the water.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather for first week in January??

The weather model looks promising for the first week of January per accuweather.com. Mild, sunny days with highs in the high 50's/low 60's and lows in the low to mid 40's. Of course, all that is subject to change depending on unstable air, etc.

It's going to be beautiful no matter what the weather. The huge amount of rain we've this week is giving us gorgeous velvety green hills.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 15:10
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather for first week in January??

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback. Can't wait to visit!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather for first week in January??

Unfortunately, the IMAX theater mentioned by PGDenizen recently closed due to a dispute between the owner and IMAX Corp. They hope to reopen, but it may be awhile and there are no guarantees. For those who missed it, here's the local newspaper story: http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_16814918?

-Mr. Toy

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather for first week in January??

Thanks, Mr. Toy. That's too bad.