We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cannock Staffs
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

Hiya, hope you lot can help, im organising a Harley Davidson Bike tour for 12 UK guys and will be riding PCH1 on 9th September 2011. We should leave SF about 9am but want to take in Laguna Seca and Monterey/Carmel maybe for brunch. Will stop off for photos,coffee etc on the way down to Morro but could do with an estimate of how long it should take,what are the must see's. What's the quickest rout out of SF to Monterey, would we miss much scenery/sights if we take the 101 before picking up PCH1. Once in Morro Bay we need a reasonably cheap place to stay overnight, obviously 'Frills' in the hotel are not as important as the location. We need a bar for the evening preferably with reasonably priced beer,food,music and a good atmosphere. Late bar, Good company and a warm welcome would be great. ANY suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

SF to Morro Bay via Highway 1: approx. 5 hours without stops.

Quickest route out of SF: I-280 south to Highway 85 south, which merges with Highway 101 south of San Jose to Highway 156 West (do NOT confuse with Highway 156 East, which you will pass first), which merges with Highway 1 south just north of Monterey. If you opt for this route, you will miss out on Santa Cruz.

If you want to take the coast the whole way (only adds 1/2 an hour or so), take I-280 south to the Highway 1/Pacifica exit. This will take you past Half Moon Bay & Santa Cruz.

I know I read about a bar in Morro Bay from a local here on TA, but I'm having trouble finding that post. Will keep looking and let you know If/what I find. Morro Bay is a small town and rolls up the sidewalks early.

What do you mean by "cheap" for lodging? Less than $100.00 USD a night or.....?

Edited: 15 November 2010, 21:26
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

This bar in Morro Bay seems popular:

yelp.com/biz/morro-bay-fuel-dock-morro-bay

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

You shouldn't have a problem finding lodging in Morro Bay after Labor Day weekend (first weekend in Sept). There are many along Morro Street and Main Street. Lots of chain motels (Best Western, Days Inn) as well as more local mom and pop type places.

As for bars, I live in Morro Bay and Fuel Dock is a block from me. It's a locals kind of place and they have live music. The owner is often there along with her St. Bernard. Across the street from Fuel Dock is Legends - they have pool tables and also is a locals, comfortable place.

On the Embarcadero (along the harbor) are many restaurants, most of them with bars. Plus Windows on the Water has great M-F specials at the bar - Oyster Tuesdays, Slider Wednesdays and Taco/Tequila Thursdays.

Plenty to choose from : )

Edited: 17 November 2010, 20:05
Cannock Staffs
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

Many thanks for the information, will probably try both Legends and the Fuel Dock, I will be looking for rooms around the $100 mark and will probably try to get a group rate from one of the major chains that could cover multiple places, any ideas ?. Our tour starts in Vegas with stops in Bishop,Lake tahoe, SF, Morro bay,probably LA but maybe Palm beach before we do Laughlin, Williams, Page, Mexican hat, Torrey UT, Zion and back to vegas. All in 12 nights i hope ?.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

Do follow kibblesmom's advice to take Hwy 280/85 to 101 south of Gilroy.

It is a beautiful freeway which runs along the Coast Range. If you have time, do take Hwy 92 down to Half Moon Bay and drive the coast to Monterey. Except, be aware that 92 is curvy and rather steep in places and Hwy 1 is a two lane road. Hwy 280 and 85 are freeways.

It DOES add a little more than half an hour to the time if you take HWY 1, because of the curvy descent of 92 down to Hwy 1 and you will run into a little traffic (not much) going through Mission Street in Santa Cruz until Hwy 1 becomes freeway.

If you are on bikes, definitely avoid Hwy 101 which is often traffic congested (and ugly, as well.)

Looking in the AAA book for Morro Bay I see these three chains listed, Best Western El Rancho, starts at $95, Best Western San Marcos Inn, starts at $59., and Best Western Tradewinds Motel, starts at $59.

There are scads of motels in your price range, however.

Just for information. Have you looked at a map, and calculated mileage?

You have 12 stops listed in 12 days. You won't see anything but the road. The west is vast, my friend. But good luck and report back, please?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

You might consider posting your itinerary in the road trip forum and getting some tips there. That way you might avoid driving to Florida by mistake.

Morro Bay, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

There is a Day's Inn a block away from the 2 "downtown" bars and few more blocks from the Embarcadero.

daysinn.com/DaysInn/…

I hope I'm out of town when all those Harley's come roaring in! : )

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

Supercilious' remark about "driving to Florida by mistake" refers to your listing of "Palm Beach" as a destination. In California, as you probably know, it is "Palm Springs".

Cannock Staffs
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

Sorry for the Palm beach, of course I mean Springs. Rout is around 2500 miles with the longest day being around 330 miles which i think is not to bad. We are not stopping in Mexican hat overnight thats just on the rout. We even get a day off which we will probably take in Morro Bay. It should be the Friday and Saturday night 9th and 10th of September. Are there any Places of interest around Morro which we should take in while we are there. Is San Louis Obispo worth the trip on a Saturday afternoon ?. PS 3stacks dont be out of town we are nice guys honest, come and share a beer, i imagine we should not be hard to find in Legends or the Fuel Dock, are the locals ok with guys from out of town or from the UK. ?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Fran to Morro Bay,UK blokes, Bikes,Beer,Bed.

I think you'll find most of us who live on the central California coast to be quite friendly and welcoming. Of course, there may be some trouble makers among us (usually after someone has had a wee bit too much to drink), but just keep your eyes open for that and make a quick exit if you must while enjoying your bar time.

Since you plan to take a rest day in this area, here are a few rides you might want to consider while in the area:

1) Montana de Oro State Park. Ride through Morro Bay State Park to South Bay Blvd and turn right toward Baywood Park/Los Osos until the road ends at Los Osos Valley Road. Turn right and continue until the road turns into Pecho Road. This will take you through the park entrance. Pretty drive through eucalyptus trees which emerges to ocean vistas, Schooner's Cove & a few hiking trails.

2) When returning from Montana de Oro, ride back to South Bay Blvd, turn left and watch for Turri Road (you'll see it when coming from Morro Bay, so make note of it) and turn right. Kind of a pleasant country drive on a twisty, hilly road that will meet up with Los Osos Valley Road.

3) When Turri Road ends at Los Osos Valley Road, turn left and continue toward San Luis Obispo. You'll be driving past farm and ranch lands and you'll see some dormant volcano peaks to your left. Continue on Los Osos Valley Road until it ends at South Higuera Street and turn left from the inside lane. Very shortly after you make the turn, you should see another road meeting up with Higuera Street at an angle. The is Vachell Road. Make the sharp right turn at Vachell Road and continue until the road ends at Highway 227. Turn right.

4) Highway 227 takes you past pretty Edna Valley (part of our coastal wine region). If your group enjoys wine tasting, then make a stop at Edna Valley Winery off Biddle Ranch Road. The views from the tasting room are gorgeous. Continue south on Highway 227 past Price Canyon Road. After a bit, the road will start to ascend with some S curves through a wooded area. The highway will then descend into the Village of Arroyo Grande. Turn right toward the village. The Village of Arroyo Grande is quaint with the western themed architecture, charming shops and the pretty park behind the south side shops with gazebo and swinging bridge.

5) Continue west on Branch Street (Branch Street turns into Grand Ave just past the village area) through the bedroom communities of Arroyo Grande and Grover Beach. (If I'm home, I'll probably hear you drive by, as I live a block up off Grand Ave). Grand Ave will intersect with Business Highway 1 just over the railroad tracks. Turn right and follow the road into Pismo Beach. When Highway 1 ends, turn left and drive along Price Street/ Shell Beach Road until it ends at Avila Beach Drive.

6) Turn left at Avila Beach Drive (this is a pretty drive through a woodsy area) and continue into the popular beach town of Avila Beach. You can lunch at the Custom House with ocean & pier views, if you like. Then follow Avila Beach Drive back to Highway 101 and take the northbound on-ramp.

7) Highway 101 north into San Luis Obispo and take the Highway 1/Morro Bay/Hearst Castle off-ramp. You will ride through part of SLO before it becomes open highway. You'll see the same dormant volcano peaks you saw when riding on Los Osos Valley Road, but from the other side of them. You are now on your way back to Morro Bay after a pleasant outing on the Central Coast.

Edited: 18 November 2010, 11:43