We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking near murrietta

North Collins, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
hiking near murrietta

will be staying in murriettafro 2/27--3/9 /12

was wondering about day hikes in the area.easy to moderate preferd. thanks

2 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: hiking near murrietta

Santa Rosa Plateau is close by.

localhikes.com/Hikes/SantaRosaPlateau_4472.a…

Palomar Mountain State Park is nearby also.

www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=637

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,567 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: hiking near murrietta

I've been to Santa Rosa Plateau. It's a large nature preserve in the hills on Clinton Keith Rd. Very nice area and your dates are a good time to go because wildflowers should be in bloom. I went in March about three years ago. The two trails I did were the Granite Loop and the trail out to the vernal pools, which is long and also where the wildflowers are. I was not immediately impressed with the wildflowers because I didn't expect them to be low to the ground, but the photos I took made me realize their beauty. The vernal pools are simply watery areas that support a lot of life inside. They disappear during certain times of the year, but still provide moisture and life underground. You should be able to view them at that time. There are boarded walkways to go out to them. The trail leading out there is through an open area and can get quite sunny on a clear day. There is trail that branches off to trees. The Granite Loop trail is near the Visitor's Center, which I would recommend stopping in first. The Visitor's Center is small with exhibits and you will learn about the wildlife on the preserve. There is an attendant who can give you maps of where the trails are. The Grainte Loop trail begins steps away from there. At the beginning is a somewhat shaded picnic area. There where butterflies when I was there. As you walk on the trail you will see huge granite bolders among green grass and eventually walk between some very tall ones. This was very different for me because trails closer to my home have pines and oaks. The bolders are indicative of the formation of the land and are unique to California as compared to NY, I would guess. After my hikes at Santa Rosa Preserve I followed Clinton Keith Rd. down to the freeway and went to Temecula for something to eat and a walk around their Old Town. I ate at Pat and Oscar's On the Pond, which has closed recently, but the large pond is lovely to visit with a great view.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 12:43
Reply to: hiking near murrietta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murrieta
Recent Conversations