We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

My husband and I are spending two full days in Napa, in early August. We’ll be staying in the downtown area (White House Inn). We’re planning on spending the first day (Monday) on a wine tour, something casual and fun to get the lay of the land. We’re leaning towards Platypus, but are open to suggestions.

For our second day (Tuesday), we’d like to visit three wineries on our own, using uber or lyft. I’ve read a bunch of articles and have researched a few vineyards, but I’m having a difficult time narrowing it down. We’ve also noticed that some of the tastings (especially those with food pairings) aren’t available on Tuesdays. Below are a few thoughts:

• We enjoy dry crisp white wine, light reds (pinot noir) as well as bigger reds (cabs). The only style of wine we’re not crazy about is oaked chardonnay.

• We’d like to do one cave tour – I was looking at Schramsberg, Stag’s Leap, & Vine Cliff

• What should we do for lunch? I wanted to do the olive oil tasting at Round Pond, but according to their website, it’s only available Fri-Sun. Can you either recommend a vineyard that does a small food pairing, somewhere where we can do a picnic lunch or a restaurant close to one of the vineyards were we can grab a quick bite?

• I also need help with the timing, how much time should we allocate for travel and at each vineyard.

Thanks for all your help!

(BTW - i also posted this on Napa Valley board)

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

I haven't been to Napa yet, but happy to share our itinerary for December of this year. Mondavi has a cave, I think it's not as "cool" as the others- the Hall Rutherford one looks the coolest to me, but we want to experience the brands we know and love, so we're going more "commercial". One thing I'll note, at a few of the wineries, where we don't need a formal appointment in advance, we intend to split our tastings so that we are not too boozy. I've got several Michelin starred restaurants on my itinerary, so hopefully that will help with meal suggestions!

Thursday December 27th

Pick up rental car

10-12:00 Drive to Sonoma

12:00 Visit original Williams-Sonoma in Sonoma

1:30 Opus One Wine tasting (single pour only, $50/glass)

2:30 Silver Oak Tasting ($30/pp, 9-5- split)

3:45 Chandon tasting (by the glass or $20/flight, has snacks- closes at 4:45)

5:30 Check in at Cabernet House

8pm Bottega Napa (Uber)

Friday December 28th- Uber today

9:30 Check out Oxbow Market

10:30 Check in for Wine Train Lunch tour

2:30 Return from Wine Train tour

3:15 Cakebread “Current Release” tasting (1 hour)

5pm Robert Mondavi Twilight Tour (90 minutes, $55/pp includes Charcuterie w tasting)

7:30 Dinner Bouchon

Saturday December 29

9:30 leave for Calistoga

11:00 Ferrari-Carano tasting in Enoteca Lounge ($25/tasting- split)

12:00 Coppola tasting in “upstairs gallery bar” ($25/tasting- 45 mins- split)

1:30 Lunch Solbar at Solage

3-3:45 Old Faithful

4pm Rombauer (by the glass appointment at 4, last pour at 4:45, closes at 6)

Cocktails at The Restaurant at Meadowood?

8pm dinner at Charter Oak

Edited: 12 July 2018, 12:01
South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

Can I tag onto this thread please? We have the same - 2 nights in Napa in November and I was leaning to staying in downtown Napa as it seems to have a bit of nightlife? We also wanted to make a couple of tours but there is so much choice... I think I may just copy what you guys end up doing! :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,869 posts
6,430 reviews
3. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

We very much liked out Platypus Tour (and we go to Napa often).

Its a good tour.

You can do the olive oil tasting at Round Pond 7 days a week. On the other days they offer the Splash and Dash Olive Oil Tasting.

https:/…

V Sattui is popular for lunch due to their many offerings in their on site deli as well as many picnic tables outside.

VGS does a very nice wine and food tasting - its best to make a reservation, but good food.

https:/…vgs-tasting-house-garden

If you like sparking wine (i.e. cannot call it champagne in Napa), Schramsberg cave tour is very good and the seated tasting after awesome. You need to make reservations.

For each winery i would plan on an hour. If you just want to stop and take a look see at the architecture, etc. at some of the wineries, 1/2 hour. Once you have your l list, its easier to advise on how long to do each tasting.

In terms of Round Pond to VGS its a 10 minute or so drive.

To Schramsberg is a 15 to 20 minute drive.

Add one to two other wineries such as the one on your list and you have a delightful day.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

Christine F - You have a very agressive itineary with a lot of time on the road. Making some of the appointments may be tricky. Weather at that ime of year can be a factor too.

You are staying in Napa but not dining there. You might want to stay in Yountville or Rutherford perhaps. The Rancho Caymus Inn is very nice and is in between St. Helena and Yountville.

New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
5. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

Thank you mini33. I will put together a tentative itinerary and post it for your comments.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

We are staying at the Rancho Caymus Inn right now. This place is dreamy! So many thoughtful amenities and the staff is so very accommodating and helpful. The location is great too. I definitely recommend it if you’re considering a switch to a Rutherford base.

Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get

@Sonapaoma, really? Most suggest 3 wineries/day. We are only doing one tour at Mondavi, and splitting several tastings. We did a full day on the road in Stellenbosch, SA, did 3 wineries, and loved it. Could have easily done that 3 more days. What we're paying for 3 nights in Napa is less than 1 night in Yountsville, as lovely as that would be. I'd rather spend that money on Michelin food and wine.

Reply to: The more articles I read the move overwhelmed I get
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted