We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

There seem to be good tours available at Benzinger, Del Dotto & Cakebread. If you had to miss one, which would it be?

I'm thinking of skipping the Cakebread tour but wondering if I should I drop the Benzinger instead? I don't think the Del Dotto is one I want to miss and if I do drop a full blown tour at any of these other places should I still stop for a tasting?

So many wineries and so little time!

Napa Valley Wine Trolley
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Dynamic Napa Wine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Winery Tours Napa Valley
Wineries & Vineyards, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Allure Limo Napa Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,921 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

I would definitely do Del Dotto - however do it in the afternoon. Their generous pouring of wine makes it an afternoon event. I enjoyed our first visit and definitely thinking of doing a repeat soon!

I'd go to a tasting at Cakebread and skip the tour. Good wine; not as necessary to do a tour.

Benzinger - what tour are you doing?

Have fun!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

The thing about Benziger is that they have this cute tram and they give you a feel for the farming side of it. This is my take on touring; if you are huge fans of a winery, it's fun to take a tour. One of our first was Cakebread off-season. We were alone and met the owners. After that, we stopped touring until we chose a sparkling wine tour, as that is much different. Opus One has a tour which is unique, because they do almost everything by hand. But touring starts to get a little repetitive after a while, you learn about tapping and turning barrels, oak barrels, stainless tanks, etc etc. I would pick 2 tours tops and spend the rest of the time tasting. Often times, when you pick a very small winery, you will end up in a back room tasting off barrels or checking out the vineyard. It's happened to us often.Even better than a large tour!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

The tour I was thinking of at Benzinger was the tram tour. I think it will be interesting b/c of the trip into the vineyards & discussion of their biodynamic process.

http://www.benziger.com/visit_us/index.php

The information you have both provided is helpful and confirms my plans to stop at Cakebread for a tasting but skip the tour. I do want to stop at a sparkling winery as LLindaC mentions. . .I was thinking Domaine Chandon but that seems to be more champagne than sparking wine (I like sparkling reds).

Any recommendations for good sparkling stops? Do any of the valley wineries have champagnes or sparkling wines kept in caves, where they do the regular bottle turning and freeze/break of the slugs (I heard about this in a wine tasting class I took a few months ago, it sounds interesting).

Any sherry makers??

Arizona
Level Contributor
230 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

Domaine Chandon has a Sparkling Red, just tasted it last week and purchased some bottles too!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,921 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

Benzinger is a nice tour....(somehow I was enjoying my port too much and read it as Beringer last time I replied...sorry). I think the Del Dotto and Benzinger tour are both good - with Del Dotto #1, Benzinger a 1.5.

in terms of priority.

As mentioned by the other poster, agree about Domain Chandon being the one to try:

http://www.chandon.com/wines/sparkling.html

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

You are aware that Benziger and Cakebread are in two different valleys? Benziger is in the Sonoma Valley in Glen Ellen, the other two are in the Napa Valley.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

Wow, thanks for the feedback. We have a couple of days in the area and are planning to stay in Yountville so we were thinking of stopping at Benzinger on our way in from SF. I will definitely make Del Dotto, Benzinger & Chandon a priority but we have others to visit just for tasting and Cakebread will be on that list.

As always, this forum is helpful for those unfamiliar with the area. I can't wait to try the sparkling reds at Chandon!! Yay!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

I thought Mondavi for a tour was a "must do" but I don't see it here?

Thanks!

No California
Level Contributor
241 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

Cakebread does an excellent wine and food pairing that is very reasonably priced (I think $25.00). I believe they offer this twice a week. The food was great!

10. Re: benzinger, del dotto, cakebread. . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 01:24