We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Napa from SFO & Dinner reservations

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Napa from SFO & Dinner reservations

Hi. I know this has been posted a lot but I was wondering if the current traffic issues in San Francisco effect the route from the airport to Napa. Can anybody tell me the best way to go? We are coming up there next Monday (can't wait!!!!).

Also, would you recommend getting dinner reservations for every night or will we be able to walk into some of the places? We were looking at hopefully going to Julia's Kitchen, NV Restaurant and Lounge, and UV Trattoria but we aren't set on those places and would rather have a bit of flexibility if possible.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Bistro Don Giovanni
$$ - $$$, Italian, Mediterranean
Cole's Chop House
$$$$, American, Steakhouse
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Napa from SFO & Dinner reservations

Many people send tourists to Napa by going across the Bay Bridge to Oakland and using Hwy 880 and 80 to Vallejo and then to Napa.

I drove this route last weekend out of necessity (we were visiting friends in Crockett on the way) and I simply cannot understand going that way. The scenery is industrial, the traffic is horrible.

My route may be a little bit longer in mileage but so much more pleasant. Trust me.

From the airport take Hwy 101 north a short distance to Hwy 380. From this take the exit for Hwy 280 north to San Francisco. Stay on this route. It will eventually take you into San Francisco on 19th Avenue. This is a city street, but six lanes wide with timed lights. It takes you across Golden Gate Park to Park Presidio Drive and on to the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway 101. Take the Hwy 37 exit from 101 north of San Rafael. I believe it says Vallejo Sonoma, or maybe Vallejo Napa.

At any rate, 8 miles later when you come to a traffic light at Hwy 121 turn left and follow 121 on into Napa.

Hwy 280 is 8 or 10 lanes wide with light traffic. Getting across the city is quite easy. The scenery on the rest of the trip is nice. On 121 you will be going through the Carneros District and passing wineries and vineyards.

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Oakland
Oakland
California
Vallejo
Vallejo
California
San Francisco