We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my 2.5 days in Wine Country and Lodging

Texas
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help with my 2.5 days in Wine Country and Lodging

I know some of this I have covered and others too before. But, I'm asking again so I have it clear in one new post.

We are leaving the Embarcadero area of San Francisco at 2:00 PM on a Wednesday in October, give or take an hour.

We have until some time saturday in wine country.

Although my husband and I love wine, he doesn't want to spend 2.5 days just doing tastings and a tour or two.

Need some suggestions for an area to stay and something to do Wed. afternoon and part of Thursday.

Is there a town we can head to from San. Fran on wed. afternoon that is worth seeing and a nice dinner and then go to the Napa Valley for Thursday and Friday night, Thinking: Beazley House, La Belle Epoque, Napa River Inn, etc.?

Or, drive out to St. Helena area Wed. afternoon check in and do cheese, olive oil and Woodhouse Chocolates spend a night or two there and then do tours or tastings back toward the town of Napa. If we spend just one night out toward St. Helena then I would do a B & B in Napa. If we come back just for Friday night, I would probably do the Napa River Inn.

Would like some itinerary ideas for leaving San Fran. where to head to and what to do that isn't just days and days of wineries.

We also do want to get a picnic lunch in at a winery.

As always, I appreciate all the help I receive on these forums.

Wineries are must sees for us Sterling because we love the wines, Mondavi and Jarvis based on posts here. Would like to go to Coppola but think his new location might be too far out of the way.

Also considering del dotto, etc.

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
838 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Beazley House
Beazley House
774 Reviews
Napa, CA
La Belle Epoque
La Belle Epoque
493 Reviews
Napa, CA
St. Helena
St. Helena
Napa Valley, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Napa River Inn at the...
1,385 Reviews
Napa, CA
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
119 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my 2.5 days in Wine Country and Lodging

I would suggest driving up to either St. Helena or Calistoga and spending some time wandering around town. Both have cute downtown areas that are be fun to explore.

http://www.sthelenafun.com/

http://napalinks.com/calistoga/

Mentioned in this post
St. Helena
St. Helena
Napa Valley, CA
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
AnnapolisMD
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my 2.5 days in Wine Country and Lodging

You could hit the town of Sausalito on your way up to Napa. That might be a fun palce to explore and shop.

Also, I was not sure if you were thinking of staying in St. Helena one night and Napa for two. If so stay at one place the whole time. The area is easy to get around and the whole Napa valley can be drive in about 40 minutes.

I would stay in St Helena as it is more centally located to everything. We have done wine tastings in one day from Calistoga to Napa and it does not seem like a lot of driving.

If you really want to treat yourself one day hire a driver to take you around. We hired Philip Peterson with Wine Country Chaffeurs and he scheduled a whole day for us at boutique off the beaten path wineries. As everyone on the forum says you can get around yourself, but it was so nice to let someone else make the appointments and do the driving and navigating. Sure it is expensive, but for us it was well worth the money.

Mentioned in this post
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
St. Helena
St. Helena
Napa Valley, CA
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
Texas
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my 2.5 days in Wine Country and Lodging

Thanks for both of your help! Two people recommended Saucilito, but I've already been there twice.

We are fine doing St. Helena, Yountville of Castologa for one or two nights, but definitely want to end for the last night or two in the town of Napa like to be in or able to walk to town for dinner. But, most importantly, want to be closer to the airport on Saturday. St. Helena will add an extra 30 to 40minutes on our trip back to San Francisco Airport on Saturday.

Was thinking of the limo.

Also trying to find some non-wine stuff to do. I.E. cheese tastings, olive oil tastings, the CIA woodhouse chocolates and nice picnic, etc.

I appreciate all of your help!

Also, any lodging suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
St. Helena
St. Helena
Napa Valley, CA
Yountville
Yountville
Napa Valley, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
AnnapolisMD
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with my 2.5 days in Wine Country and Lodging

For lodging we typically stay at the Napa Marriott. I know it does not get the greatest reviews, but we have points and find it to be perfectly acceptable for our trips. I actually find it to be a great location close to many things and easy access to the highway. You might want to camp in Yountville for your trip since it is between Napa and St. Helena. You could easily walk to many wonderful restaurants if you stay there.

I know everyone is different, but I would much rather drive than move hotels mid-trip. I hate having to pack up and move 30 minutes down the road. We also find that driving around the valley is so fun and relaxing.

Mentioned in this post
The Napa Inn
The Napa Inn
429 Reviews
Napa, CA
Yountville
Yountville
Napa Valley, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
St. Helena